Is the real deal? 25 cent Nova Constellatio.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by coinman1234, May 30, 2015.

1. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

I went to my dealer and he told me he added some stuff in the world coin bin. Before I know it I pull out a coin with the date of 1731, he says that if a coin is too worn or cleaned in anyway and not US he will throw it in the bin. Next coin was a nice Louis XV Copper, shortly after a 1769 King George III Hibernia Copper in very good condition. I also found many coins from the early 1800's including a nice 1826 British Penny (Huge copper coin!), and some other coppers. A while later I see another copper, I get very excited when I see rays, my first though was, "Oh my god, Nova Constellatio copper!!!" What do you think? Could this be the real deal?

IMG_20150530_105205.jpg IMG_20150530_105209.jpg IMG_20150530_105505.jpg IMG_20150530_105518.jpg

deacon2828 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. coinman1234

Some other coins.
    IMG_20150530_111220.jpg

4. Bedford

Bedford Lackey For Coin Junkies

The Nova looks pretty legit from the pic. How does the edge look?

5. coinman1234

Edge is completely smooth... no reeding or seam.

6. Bedford

Bedford Lackey For Coin Junkies

Cool pick up then ! Curious ,in the 1st pics did you photograph it sitting on concrete or something ?

coinman1234 likes this.
  7. Sean the Coin Collector

Sean the Coin Collector Active Member

Were they like all at a flat rate price wise ?

8. coinman1234

No, It is just placed on a piece of wood on my backyard's steps.

9. coinman1234

Yes, There were common 1995 Two Pences for 25 cents along with two Euro coins for 25 cents, and of course, 1700's coppers for 25 cents :)

10. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

The nova looks like Crosby 1-B, but the relatively sharp raised rim at the top of the second picture without any sign of dentils is concerning.

11. coinman1234

12. coinman1234

Date is worn off, I'm guessing that the denticles are worn because I think I see a couple in the right lighting. If they were going to fake it would they make it this worn??

13. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

The thing that looks odd to me is that parts of the rim seem pretty sharp while the rest of the design that would be equally high in profile is heavily worn and flattened.

I'm not saying outright it's fake or anything, just that this one thing hits my eyes a certain way :)
    As far as how fakes are made, there is a full spectrum in quality. Often the more deceiving ones are cast from well worn examples to simulate wear and make people less likely to give them severe scrutiny.
    Crude casts often have odd looking and misshapen rims, which is why I voiced my concern about that.
    You should really have someone experienced examine it in hand, you might have a really great deal here.

coinman1234 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted