Is the PCGS Secure worth that much more?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Beefer518, Oct 15, 2017.

1. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

I would prefer the first coin due to its originality even if not overly attractive. The second coin with its blurry photos would leave questions in my mind as to whether it was properly dipped and rinsed. With the older holder it's probably okay but you never know. At least a toned coin, ugly or not, likely won't get any uglier. A blast white coin can turn down the road and be absolutely hideous.

I wouldn't have bid stupid money for either, though.

Oldrdawg likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

On that you can rely, but you won’t generally know WHICH someone else. The market for toned coins is badly bifurcated. Some people love ‘em. Some people hate ‘em. I like subtle toning, but generally not like Coin A above. I’m okay with most of it, except that splotch that runs from the bottom to the right on the obverse.

4. Charles REid

Charles REid Active Member

Toning that adds no beauty of historical sense is nonsense.

Oldrdawg likes this.
  5. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Not a big fan of the toning on Coin A, and the black stain on the kitty kills it for me. If two people (one of which may have been the seller) liked the toning enough to bid strong 65 money for it, more power to them. The premium had nothing to do with the Secure Plus holder, however.

Oldrdawg likes this.
  6. kkathyl0

kkathyl0 Active Member

I agree with @Mike at APMEX on the different opinions and would say many coins reviewed here based off pictures at times become a totally different story in hand. I have seen what appears to be a clear coin graded PCGS 68 that in hand has obvious set in gray print that you cant see in a picture. I find the finger prints to be less appealing then a toner without.

Oldrdawg and Mike at APMEX like this.
  7. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

That's what kept me back on it. I would have gone the same $$$ on coin A as I went on coin B, but not anymore, and I do like toning in general. But that black splotch... yech!:vomit:

Oldrdawg likes this.
  8. Sundance79

Sundance79 Active Member

You are so right. I hate pickles, my wife loves them. Yet we still get along great!

9. Oldrdawg

Oldrdawg Active Member

That's why they make chocolate and vanilla.
    I have a $20 St. Gaudens with a copper spot on its obverse. When I sent it for grading I was going to have the spot removed but my local coin dealer begged me not to because it showed it still had its "original skin." I don't think the spot adds to the coin, but he sure does.

Mike at APMEX likes this.
  10. V. Kurt Bellman

I lost my original skin long ago. This stuff now is much drier and starting to sag. There is this one mole that has always been there, however.

kkathyl0 likes this.
  11. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

TMI... just.... TMI

Oldrdawg and ddddd like this.
  12. Oldrdawg

Oldrdawg Active Member

I strongly agree with Beefer518 about TMI. That having been said, from a numismatic perspective I assume that your mole is the biological equivalent of a copper spot on a $20 St. Gaudens.

13. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

Yea, totally ruins eye appeal...You might go in for conservation, or better yet, straight to the smelter :mask:

14. V. Kurt Bellman

I like that! A perfect analog. It’s a different color spot, but an integral part of the whole.

Draft saved Draft deleted