Is the lack of facts a scam..

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by kaosleeroy108, Aug 11, 2018.

1. Zeppo Shanski

Zeppo Shanski Active Member

WOW. This thread will probably get closed/locked before I start posting really out-there stuff. It's late and I have to go to bed ... boy-'o'-boy ... this could be fun.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

Who knows the back story on Duck Tape?
    Every one should.
    Originally designed and used to seal duct work tubes for heating and AC applications, due to it's strength and stickiness, it became a common part of most toolkits and household junk drawers. As we " common folk " used it more and more, we subverted the name from " duct tape " to " Duck Tape " simply because of the similar sound of the name.
    A smart marketer seized on that, and now we can't go anywhere tape is sold without seeing Duck Tape, complete with quacking ducks, on the shelf.

4. CasualAg$

CasualAg$ Corvid Minions Collecting

A sad commentary on our public education system and it’s effective dumbing of us “common folk.” (Off topic? Not in the least. It’s a solid parallel to CoinTV.)

But then, Gorilla tape must be stronger than Duck tape because gorillas are stronger than ducks. And it follows logically that T-Rex tape is certainly the strongest of all. You can’t build that kind of branding scheme based on Duct tape.

Maybe a lack of facts is a scam...

Hookman likes this.
  5. John Skelton

John Skelton Morgan man!

I don't think so. It's just the way things go. Especially when you talk about marketing. We adopted the image of Santa Claus from ads for a soft drink. You make of it what you take from it. And that goes for public education.

6. Zeppo Shanski

It’s got nothing to do with any educational system.

7. Brian Calvert

Brian Calvert Active Member

Was just joking of course... I do see these kind of guys as GREAT People, they are better than me. They had great parents and a great upbringing...
    My friend down the street Jeffrey Clevland had great parents, dad worked at a college, mom was home maker. I would spend the night at his house a lot because he had all the great toys. But also an amazing coin collection back in 1973, 74.
    All this while my mom left and dad was a BIKER. I guess I was living a somewhat normal life THRU him.

I was always jealous of the normal life he had. Think he now works in California at a Solar Panel Corp., playing Guitar was his hobby. I remember his 1909 VDBS and looking at that thing in its little white paper slab... Or the mercury dime his grandfather gave him him that was worth a couple hundred back then...

Anyway, I am glad for all these types of guys and glad they pass on their great lives to their grandchildren, coins, teachings, etc... I think about it a lot, what if's... I know, if and when my daughter has kids, I will do my best to be just like these guys and not so BLUNT about the world, the FED, the Crooks, Cayman island Trillion dollar thieves, etc... I really worry for these kids, things are changing fast and people down here at our level are missing the signs, the money grab, the deregs. and how in the world will we ever fix it.

Hookman likes this.
  8. Brian Calvert

I don't know how anyone could come up with that as a conclusion. There are many great schools in the country. But for the most part, if you are not close to it, how would one know ? I know BOOKS are not taken home anymore because there is not enough to go around. Teachers have to buy supplies from their own money. Horror stories like this are out there. For most of us, we have moved our kids into private school.
    I can tell you from fact, the schools here in Florida are horrible...Just look at the national avg. #s. Easy to see, but go out in the workforce and it shows. Guys I worked with straight out of high school could not multiple, or even spell simmplle words, things like that...
    They dont have Health and career classes, or how to balance a check book. They know concentrate on "WHAT U need for WORK" or to push you thru graduation.

My daughter went to public down here for high school and it was a joke. Their curriculum is behind the north by 2 years easily. In fact, use a word like Curriculum down here and 50% wont know "what it is"

Hookman likes this.
  9. Brian Calvert

I know it is DEEP in the Coffee business too. There is a KONA product BLEND I know for a fact is made of 90% Brazilian and Colombian Beans. Kona is a small area of Hawaii. I seen the blend sheets first hand, I know what it is made of... In fact, it had ZERO Kona beans in it. the other 10% was Tanzania.
    Read the package and it is all about the writing, people pick it up, it is pretty packaging and you get this thing in your head that says (GREAT COFFEE)... It even influences your taste buds when you sip it, because the word Kona is on the front, obviously you think Hawaii. Should be outlawed, there in lies the Biggest problem, those with so much money now dictate everything and our future relatives will suffer for our lack of intervention.

Hookman likes this.
  10. Zeppo Shanski

I made my statement because I’m a 30+ year retired educator. I still work as a substitute teacher. Don’t blame the system for student performance. Blame “rights” and “entitlement” and “society” and “bad parents” and a zillion other things that are serious distractions to quality education.

It’s not the educational system.

11. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Umm...

CasualAg$ likes this.
  12. CasualAg$

We’ll agree to disagree. A population that can’t tell ducts from ducks is not properly educated. Does anyone ever ask why ducks need tape? Or why anyone would need to tape a duck? Nonsense in; nonsense out.

My son is a teacher in a California public school and is rowing upstream against a flood of political “educational” mandates. It’s not teachers like yourself or my son. The system is corrupt and useless. That’s why there are alternatives. That’s why teachers are leaving the profession in droves, too.

My apologies to the O.P. For following this away from original intent. It’s been an interesting thread, so thanks for starting all this thinking. We all need the exercise.

13. Zeppo Shanski

I’ll just accept the fact that you have NO real clue and are just going with an uneducated opinion. Now being the fact that I spent a number of years protecting your right to have an inaccurate opinion I do accept that.

14. CasualAg$

Thank you for your boundless tolerance. You are a shining example of what a teacher should be.

Ignored.

15. Zeppo Shanski

The point is that I am. You just don’t know. It’s got nothing to do with the different words “duct” and “duck”. The similarities in the pronounciations of both words to someone not familiar with any type of “duct” would cause them to revert to a much more common word that has a greater familiarity to many more people. Not knowing what “ducts” are, or their usage, does not make a large percentage of the population poorly educated. Over time this just becomes an accepted inaccuracy. It’s much like the commonality of words like “xerox” when being used as a verb meaning to make copies. Another example would be “crescent wrench” used for an open-end adjustable wrench. It’s an unintentional and relatively harmless mistake made with verbal language.

I hope that explains this situation.

16. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

That's just called marketing.

Zeppo Shanski likes this.
  17. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

I was at work earlier today when I read this and didn't have the time to respond. Yes I have to work for a living. Shameful I know. I wasn't born with a silver spoon either and I knew at an early age that if I wanted better, I would have to work for it. I had great parents not because of the material things, we never had a lot, but because they let me decide what I wanted to do in life and supported that decision. I was never a boy scout, nor cub scout, nor any of those things, I didn't need them. I figured out all on my own that you get and keep out of life the things that you work for, including friends, and never have had a reason to regret any of it.

18. John Skelton

John Skelton Morgan man!

"And over here is the viaduct."
    "Why a duck?"

Gotta love the Marx brothers!

Zeppo Shanski, Hookman and CasualAg$ like this.
  19. CasualAg$

Absolutely. But I don’t want them teaching high school English.

Groucho was a hero of mine.

20. CasualAg$

Thank you for making my point.

21. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Unless you happen to own the trademark on Xerox, Crescent Wrench, Kleenex etc.

Draft saved Draft deleted