Is the green on this coin PVC damage?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by MontCollector, Nov 22, 2017.

1. MontCollector

MontCollector Well-Known Member

Title says it all 1944DCuracao10.jpg

Thanks...Mont.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

It looks like toning to me.

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

If that color is accurate, I'd say that it is not PVC damage. PVC damage is sometimes called "green slime".

Chris

5. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

Not sure. I think I have been victim to it and my coins look like this...

Malaya British North borneo cent reverse 1961.jpg Malaya cent reverse 1945.jpg

6. MontCollector

MontCollector Well-Known Member

Thanks. The color is pretty accurate I just snap photos and do a white balance check...no color editing.

I have 2 silver coins from Curacao that I got from 2 different sources and they both have this green color to em. Must just be the way these tone.

7. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

Yup, that is just typical toning for these coins. The climate where they were used plus metal composition often results in toning that is uniquely recognizable for certain coin types. This is a perfect example of that.

8. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

It is not the most attractive toning, but it looks like toning.

PVC can sometimes have a yellowish appearance, depending on the thickness and underlying metal. However, it is more often green colored. It will also appear hazy, like a film on the surface. What you show appears more integrated into the coin - like it's actually a part of the coin (this is how I would expect toning to appear).

Draft saved Draft deleted