Is the 2017 Mega Red Book worth it?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Omegaraptor, May 2, 2016.

?

Worth it?

1. Yes

15 vote(s)
    53.6%
  2. No

13 vote(s)
    46.4%
  1. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

I could really use this thing. Huge descriptions on just about every US coin. 30 pages for Philippine-US coinage, ~140 pages of commemoratives (I tell you, the old skool ones are pretty cool), and over 300 pages of half cents and large cents. Oh, the varieties they could cram in there! Not to mention the most important thing, updated coin values.

But that $50 price tag is making me think otherwise.

Does anyone have this book? Is it worth buying?

Edit: In some places it's like $32.

CasualAg$ likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Not the '17 volume, but earlier issues. They were cheaper........

Blissskr likes this.
  4. green18

And worth the money.

5. Omegaraptor

EDIT: Just realized the Walmart price was $32 + shipping.

6. green18

Well, we know where you be headed brother.........:)

7. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

Seattlite86 and Omegaraptor like this.
  8. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Sounds an awful lot like the 2016 Mega Red. If you have that one, I'd at least hold off until a review comes out. If you want the 330 pages about small cents, it might be a worthwhile purchase.

And, for cripe's sake, Walmart?!? Buy it from a bookstore or a coin supply dealer, at least!

9. Omegaraptor

Well, now that I've learned about Wizard's $27+shipping, it seems even more worth it.

10. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

I didn't even know they were producing these. Looks interesting. Im going to order one now. Thanks.

Sent from my XT1093 using Tapatalk

11. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Not if you like reading in the bathroom. After a litteral minute your arms feel like you've been holding two full 5gal buckets of water strict out at shoulder height :(

joecoincollect and Paul M. like this.
  12. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

No offense, but that's the least important thing. With real-time real-world sales results available at the speed of light on the Internet, prices in a published book after the publication lead time couldn't be less relevant.

All the rest - the huge store of reference material in one binder - makes it a pretty desirable purchase, but not for pricing.

Spark1951, Seattlite86, STU and 6 others like this.
  13. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Heck, I was tempted by the 2016 and I haven't bought a U.S. coin since 2013.

Paul M. and Kentucky like this.
  14. ReaperRuler

ReaperRuler Resident Numismatist

I bought the 2017 Mega Red and the 2016 Deluxe Red Book. I plan to keep buying them as long as they keep putting expanded sections in each release. The $50 price tag is a bit steep, but I still like to buy it for my library

15. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Reaper, note what was mentioned earlier in post #6, Wizard tends to sell them for $28 instead of $50. (Helps if you can buy some other items at the same time to justify the postage expense.)

16. ReaperRuler

ReaperRuler Resident Numismatist

Yeah, thats true. I usually just buy it from barnes and noble when I get a 20% off coupon and use my discount. If I could offset the shipping, I would consider that too. I just like going to the bookstore, honestly...

Paul M. likes this.
  17. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

I plan to buy a mega red every 5 years or so (unless something else compels me to buy one). They take up immense space on bookshelves and they're pricey, too.

I'm also curious when books such as the mega red and Red Book will go online. Then you may be able to talk about updated coin prices (at least more accurately than an annual update. Unless the current popular price guides go electronic, there's definitely room for another company to swoop in and steal the internet show.

To be honest, I still prefer solid books, but price guides do make a lot of sense as an online, fully searchable and dynamic tool.

joecoincollect likes this.
  18. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

I don't think it's that pricey for a book with such an extensive amount of general info.

IMO the specialty section is what's going to make it worth purchasing each year. I would really like to see the table of contents though, to get an idea what else has been updated besides the specialty section.

19. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Each year of the Mega Red will add a large new section.

This year added So-Called $'s.

20. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

Good Lord. Mine just came in. Felt like a box of lead. Here's the 3rd dimension. Its 2.5 inches thick!
    uploadfromtaptalk1462917045905.jpg

Paul M. likes this.
  21. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

Ok, my vote is, its worth the buy. This thing is filled with extra info, vintage cartoons and photos as a bonus such as this one:

[​IMG]

People lined up to get the first Lincoln cents.

There's detailed info for every coin. Looking at a page for Lincoln cents right now. The 1910 and 1910 proof have a full page dedicated to them alone. The next page is dedicated to the 1910-S and its varieties covering a full page. The book is about a third taller than a normal red book as well. Absolutely loaded with information and quality pics.

I like that the price guide at least lists 4 or 5 recent auction sales of higher grade examples for everything.

Last edited: May 10, 2016
Draft saved Draft deleted