Is the 1970 peace dollar story true?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Kai Greene, Feb 24, 2018.

1. Kai Greene

Kai Greene New Member

There have been rumors that the US mint made some copper nickel clad peace dollars as pattern coins for testing copper nickel dollar coins and some people say one coin survived and is hidden away in a secret vault so does anyone know if any of this story is true and if it is true is there any evidence to prove any of this story and if it is true is there any real pictures of the 1970 peace dollar?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Google Dan Carr, and learn the 'real story'..............

4. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Since the word evidence indicates verification or presentable proof, NO there is None. Speculation is non-evidence meant to convince someone without any evidence to indicate it is true. Apocalypse forums, Aliens from space forums, and news services of ill repute ~Speculate. We have had all mentioned on the forum before and some insisted they were true until they 'decided' to leave. Jim

green18 likes this.
  5. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Yes they did strike 1970 piece dollars in coppernickel to test their ability to make dollar size coins and that material. These were part of experiments getting ready to produce the Eisenhower dollars. But all the test pieces were accounted for and were destroyed there are none available anywhere. The number of pieces struck was known and the number of pieces destroyed matches that. Stories are probably getting confused with the rumors of the 1964 piece dollars.

6. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

The Langboard case and the Aluminum cent has assured that anything rumored to be hidden away will not come to light on American soil so we can basically forget about getting evidence. Of course some people will say the lack of evidence is evidence itself...

7. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

Some Dude found a coconut husk on an island off the coast of Nova Scotia 200 years ago and decided Captain Kidd buried a bunch of treasure there. Idiots haven't stopped digging since.

8. New Message

New Message New Member

Did you know the United States mint was striking 90% silver dollars for Panama between 1966-1974.

9. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

I thought the US mint ( P) only made them from 31-53, and then the Canadian mint and Franklin mint ( private) took over from 66-84 or 85.

10. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

I'd have to look it up but the last US minted Panama coin was I believe in 1983

11. New Message

New Message New Member

I have one from 1973 and it says on the paper that comes with the coin it was struck in the united states by the San Francisco mint.

12. Will1966

Will1966 Member

The mint did make 1970 peace dollars in 1970, makes you wonder how the timeline would change if it were released.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
  13. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Citation please........

14. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I own a coin in kti original mint packaging from 1972 that clearly states it was minted in San Francisco.

15. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

San Francisco struck 90% silver 1 Balboas for Panama from 1968 to 1970 and 1972 to 1975, all in Proof. They struck other Panama coins through 1980 at P, D, and W mints as well.

16. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

To add to @Conder101 's post. There is a tab at the bottom of the attached link that has an extensive table of foreign coins struck by the US Mint, inc weights, compositions, etc. Great reference to bookmark

https://minterrornews.com/news-5-13-03-foreigners_in_the_mint.html

17. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

That file is where I got my data. But I don't have it bookmarked, bookmarks may go away. I downloaded it so I can access it even if I'm not online or if the link ever breaks.

Oldhoopster likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted