Is Seated Series Super Sissy Right Now?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by planman2014, Sep 28, 2016.

1. planman2014

planman2014 Active Member

I had to go for the alliteration there.

I am put up 2 great Seated Dollars for sale and had essentially zero interest. Spoke to a friend of mine and he is selling some Seated Dimes and said same thing.

I posted some Dahlonega gold, a Draped Bust half cent, and sold some VAMs and had a ton of interest all at once.

Just strange. In the past if I ever mentioned Seated Dollars I would get a flood of interest but nothing. Has the market for these hit a snag in last couple years?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Depends on condition, dates, and your price. AFAIK, two dollar authorities have recommended these dollars "forever" as being under-valued.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
    Paul M. and planman2014 like this.
  4. planman2014

planman2014 Active Member

Exactly. I figured I am starting to sell some stuff that my MS Seated Dollars be by far easiest thing to sell and figured my Dahloneg gold be hardest (Everybody loves Dahlonega but in my experience actually small group of people actively buy these).

Total opposite.

5. Insider

You have MS Seated Dollars? Care to post one?

Anyway, I think the market is very soft at the moment. A collector I know is trying to sell a virtually complete gold type coin grading set from AG to MS-65 plus some 66. Over 260 coins graded by PCGS (two sets of the $3 coins). Some branch mints in the sets. He wants to sell it complete. So far the only interest is auctioning the high grade stuff. :(

6. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

The problem with selling 250 coins as all or none your cutting your potential buyers to a select few and they have the the advantage on negotiations

Paul M. likes this.
  7. Insider

You are correct. He knows all this. AG & G gold coins are virtually worthless MELT unless you find the advanced collectors assembling very low grade Type sets on a lark.

Thanks, I did not post this to give him or get advice; just as a possible indication of a weak coin market. :muted:

8. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

I have a proof SL dollar, haven't even thought about selling it unless I could get a nice MS from the New Orleans mint antebellum of course.

9. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Not 'super sissy' but super serial/cereal............

Cyclical trends.........commems (my forte) are low now. Good for buying but not so much for selling

Paul M. likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted