Is QVC a good place to get coins

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Nickbender83, Mar 28, 2017.

1. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

I'd shy away from any outfit that advertises on television. Just think of the overhead they have to account for. I cringe at coins being sold on shows I see on satellite TV. For example, look at certified coins being offered on Rick Tomasco's show and compare prices with those sold on Great Collections or Heritage, for example; there's a huge mark up. Local dealers and coin shows are a good source for raw coins if you want to fill albums.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Packrat

Packrat Well-Known Member

Wish I had a dollar for every person who over paid on TV. I see examples often when I evaluate coins for bank trust departments.

Santinidollar likes this.
  4. I agree that these shows have overpriced and overhyped items. You can do much better price wise just about anywhere else.

5. fish4uinmd

fish4uinmd Well-Known Member

But Mike M. is a numismatic EXPERT, so he must be telling the truth.

6. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Do not buy coins from TV peddlers. Just say no, then say it 10 more times.

Brett_in_Sacto likes this.
  7. merrill01

merrill01 Member

Try Ebay

8. Brett_in_Sacto

Brett_in_Sacto Well-Known Member

A bit too early for April Fool's! Give it a couple days! :woot:

9. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Hi, Nick...welcome to CT. People on here can be blunt, but in general, helpful and truthful. Read some and buy some relatively cheap ones from e-bay if you don't have any local shops or coin shows in your area...btw, what is your area?

Brett_in_Sacto likes this.
  10. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I just did a double take. Didn't QVC get out of the coin business? I know HSN is rock n rolling with their overpriced coins.

11. Richard Stack

Richard Stack New Member

Enjoy watching Mike M. And his bloviating for an hour or two. Especially at work. His cohost called him Mark a few times during the show. That was special. 50 years of proof sets. ANACS and ICG certified morgans and ASE. Gotta be First Day of Issue. I do occasionally see something that catches my eye. That's how I'm getting into the 5 oz ATB "quarters " for 80-90 dollars less than his prices on eBay lol

12. Dimedude2

Dimedude2 Member

Is this a troll?

Try eBay or better yet, go to the local coin shop or go to a coin show

13. Dug13

Dug13 Well-Known Member

Never buy your coins from a show on TV.

14. STU

STU Active Member

dont buy from any of those tv type auctions they are way over priced

15. ColonialCoin4

ColonialCoin4 Active Member

Never buy coins from a television because one time I saw a 1839 AG-3 (very bad grade for a coin) large cent that's worth about $4 on eBay go for 89.99!!!

16. NYandW

NYandW Makes Cents!

17. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Well-Known Member

Buying coins on the TV is like going to MacDonalds for food.

Junk

18. dog_pound

dog_pound Supporter! Supporter

19. buffnixx

buffnixx Active Member

Any coins you see being offered for sale on TV are not “COINS” but rather “CO NS” if you get my drift. I watch one online huckster with a national reputation who specializes in high grade proofs of later vintage (especially likes Frankie halves) by trying to buy his stuff from the Flea (eBay) and guess what, even the flea’s prices are lower. Time and again when I check TV land prices are higher. Best to avoid buying anything from the boob tube.

Draft saved Draft deleted