Is QVC a good place to get coins

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Nickbender83, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Nickbender83

Nickbender83 Member

I was thinking about buying some from qvc

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

NO! they charge double sometimes triple what the coin is actually worth. :vomit::depressed::bag::hurting::dead::nurse:

4. Nickbender83

Nickbender83 Member

Ok. How about Amazon?

Ericred likes this.
  5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

No to QVC.. stay away especially from gold plated coins.. high priced and worthless!

Amazon I don't know. But my suggestion since you are a new collector is that you should wait and learn coin values first. The Red Book was suggested which is an excellent tool with information on all US Coins. They give you coin values that you can compare to with prices offered on all websites that sell coins.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
    dwhiz, chrisild and Ericred like this.
  6. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Tend to agree with those in the No camp. ;) If you are interested in coins that are offered on QVC, resist the temptation of buying them right-away-right-now. Make a note of what you would buy, then try and find more info about it - in catalogs (printed or online) and web sites of other dealers. Now if the QVC offer still looks attractive then, go ahead and buy from them.

Christian

ldhair, Ericred and paddyman98 like this.
  7. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

8. SchwaVB57

SchwaVB57 Well-Known Member

No to QVC! Too much overhead and pricing is very high based on true coin values.
    For new collectors, I recommend building a relationship with a local professional coin dealer. They will enhance your knowledge concerning all aspects of Numismatics. After 40 years dealing with a couple businesses, I get many entire collections offered to me on the wholesale side that the dealer is not interested to buy. I throw them a couple "Pork Chops" for the referral.

wxcoin likes this.
  9. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

I'M in the know camp too. I did get a Christmas gift once from QVC and it was a shipwreck coin . From what I can remember she paid 90 dollars for it and it came with a nice case too.

10. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

QVC? Are you nuts!!!!!!!!

Chris

Kentucky and abuckmaster147 like this.
  11. abuckmaster147

abuckmaster147 Well-Known Member

Thinking of this, I was looking at some blue box franklin or some darn mint that folks would buy in the 70's or 80's from tv or magazines, That I have that came from a guys collection. Most of the coins are only Like Fine!!! WORN!! Why did people fall for this??

12. Nickbender83

Nickbender83 Member

I have a red book. And some cool apps. But you guys are so helpful thinks so much

RonSanderson likes this.
  13. Nickbender83

Nickbender83 Member

They look so cool in the glass case

14. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Amazon is way overpriced.
    Local coin store
    coin show
    E Bay
    QVC is where a fool and his money soon part.

15. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Good general rule. NEVER buy coins from one of the TV programs.

spirityoda likes this.
  16. 05Wildcats

05Wildcats Well-Known Member

Actually, it is a red oak presentation box. LOL

17. Badger Mint

Badger Mint Active Member

My guess is that the shipwreck coin was from the Admiral Gardener. If so, the shipwreck coins are more common than the same coin that wasn't on that ship. Lots of history, not much value.

18. carpman98

carpman98 Active Member

QVC is similar to the Home Shopping Network in Canada. I had my table at a show in Ottawa about 20 years ago, and in my case was a 1975 Canada Presentation Set marked at $15. A lady strolled up and said "Is that what that is worth?" I said that she could have it for $13 if she was interested. She stated that she had just purchased one from the Home Shopping Network. Immediately, I responded with "Okay, and you paid $59.95 + shipping + tax ... about $75, right?" She said yes. When I asked her how long ago she had bought it, she told me two weeks. I explained to her that she had 30 days in total to return it. Don't know if she ever did, but she thanked me for the information.

mikenoodle and micbraun like this.
  19. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

T V Shows can be entertaining in a number of ways, but if you see something you might like, then do more research on E-Bay, Red Book, or as many sources and comparisons as you can find, including Auction Sites and your local coin dealer. Don,t ever be led into a hard sell for any reason...you can ALWAYS find a better deal on a rarer coin by just doing your homework.

20. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

QVC is a good place to lose money

21. Badger Mint

Badger Mint Active Member

QVC Is better than coffee when I want to stay up at night. The frustration keeps the blood pumping.

carpman98 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted