Is My Two Headed/Tailed Coin Real?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by jtwax, Nov 8, 2004.

1. Scale Artillery

Scale Artillery New Member

Here's a real 2 Two Headed coin so if your a betting man this is a cool coin if you always call heads wink emoticon i have a few and i just took the picture of 2 of them 1 of each side together i wonder if they do that in Italy Flip for it Im sure if they do they always call heads wink emoticon It's KM-75b 20 Centesimi I wonder if the value of these are Numismatic or Novality I have 5 of them and they are 1939,1940,1941x2,1943They actually carry a semi good value @ $4.00 - $7.00 each[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kristine

Kristine Member

Anyone know if this is an error coin or what happened? Curious thanks :)

Attached Files:

David Eugene Swiger likes this.
  4. NewCollectorRick

NewCollectorRick Active Member

I am new to coin collecting but I know I've seen such an error listed. I did a search for error coins and found a site that showed different types of errors. I will try and find it for you.

5. St3ve C

St3ve C New Member

I also have one and found it to be a magicians coin... Unless the metal composition is the same on both sides.

6. Heathster

Heathster Member

Also will make a HOLLOW sound when thumped with finger

7. tammiGee

tammiGee Active Member

@Just Carl

Dec 5, 2010 - Section 331 of Title 18 of the United States code provides criminal penalties for anyone who “fraudulently alters, defaces, mutilates impairs, diminishes, falsifies, scales, or lightens any of the coins coined at the Mints of the United States.”

8. RadGirl17

RadGirl17 New Member

I have a 1937 buffalo nickel with only the head on both sides! Anyone know what's up with this? Is it real? Thanks in advance!

9. enamel7

enamel7 Junior Member

Welcome to the forum. If you read the previous posts you'll see this is a magician's coin. Impossible for this to happen at the mint.

10. Tin_Man_0

Tin_Man_0 Active Member

It's not "real" in that it's not a US Mint minted coin. It's still a real coin, just not real money.

Although, I will add that just because a coin was not minted by the U.S. Mint doesn't mean it has no value. Some of the magician coins out there have a long history and can be worth alot. Who wouldn't want a two headed coin that Harry Houdini used in some of his performances? (for example). Although I think maybe this might be the wrong crowd for such a thing.... or maybe not

https://www.coinsweekly.com/en/Arch...o-Escapologist-Harry-Houdini/8?&id=861&type=n

11. Chip Kirkpatrick

Chip Kirkpatrick Well-Known Member

Never had a 2 headed call in but I used to work with a real jerk. We were co managers for a Fortune 500 company. He would borrow someone’s newspaper and cut out all of the coupons. Then he would bully his people into going to lunch and ordering whatever was on the coupon. When the bill arrived he would whip out his BOGO coupon and claim that it covered his lunch. Many many stories.

Anyway when we went to lunch he always wanted to flip a coin to see who paid. I noticed he ALWAYS called Heads. So I would have a coin in my hand, heads up. When the bill arrived I would slam it on the table and let him call. I ate free for 2 years.
    Someone asked me if I felt bad cheating him. I explained I never cheated him. He could call tails at any time and win. He just didn’t.

12. David Eugene Swiger

David Eugene Swiger Active Member

There are (as with any government agency), many laws and regs in regards to U.S. Currency, ie.; {Quote}
    The specific federal law at issue is 18 USC 333, which proscribes criminal penalties against anyone who “mutilates, cuts, defaces, disfigures, or perforates, or unites or cements together, or does any other thing to any bank bill, draft, note, or other evidence of debt issued by any national banking association, or Federal Reserve bank, or the Federal Reserve System, with intent to render such bank bill, draft, note, or other evidence of debt unfit to be reissued.”
    Anyone who manufactures a counterfeit U.S. coin in any denomination above five cents is subject to the same penalties as all other counterfeiters. Anyone who alters a genuine coin to increase its numismatic value is in violation of Title 18, Section 331 of the United States Code, which is punishable by a fine of up to $2,000, or imprisonment for up to five years, or both. {Unquote (in others words, not my words)}

13. funnycoins

funnycoins no strike, no balls,no outs. Just give me an hour

I think the law is as long as you don't make a coin worth less than face (grind off some gold etc...)

14. David Eugene Swiger

Please note my post. It is a direct quote, not my words......it is from the mint.

15. David Eugene Swiger

I have no proof, but I could see this happening. As a cracked die possibly. I believe it interesting enough to take it a professional and have them evaluate it (not just some off the wall coin shop).
    Not saying you have a money maker, but definitely interesting on my part.

16. funnycoins

funnycoins no strike, no balls,no outs. Just give me an hour

Thank you David Eugene Swigger duly noted sir

17. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

you're answering a poster who posted 2 years ago and hasn't been seen since.

18. harley bissell

harley bissell Well-Known Member

All of these except some the quarter / dollar mules are magician coins. Collectors prefer that they have dates. Magicians don't care one way or the other. Their concern is different colors so that everyone in the audience can see what they did.

19. Jim K

Jim K Member

I know years ago, itt was illegal to deface a coin. That included drilling a hole and making them into a necklace, or putting them on the railroad tracks to smash them flat.

I also know it was a crime that was rarely enforced unless the authorities wanted to arrest someone for something bigger, but could not and used the law for defacing coins, just to get someone off the streets.

There are many private mints out there that restrike a coin to make a commemerative or something else collectable. For instance, I have a real Denver mint Peace silver dollar that was restruck with a date of 1964 on the obverse. It was sold as a 1964 Carr Restrike from (I think), the Moonlight mint.

One thing I can add, is that if a coin is minted (not a restrike) by a private company, and it resembles a real coin, either new or old, without any counter stamp that says "Copy" or similar, the people making them could face counterfeiting charges.

I think theres a lot of greay area to the law, if its still active. Look up the story of the gentleman who ran NORFED and Liberty. I think he is still in jail, yet has not been formally charged or brought to trial on counterfeiting charges.

20. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

True, law was passed during the late 19th century when making love tokens was a big fad and it was repealed in the early 20th century.

True, but only applies to pieces made after 1973.

21. JCB

JCB Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted