Is my peny worth anything

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by CaptainKeith1966, Apr 11, 2020.

Tags:
  1. CaptainKeith1966

CaptainKeith1966 If I could have your attention please

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

1 cent

spirityoda likes this.
  4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

5. CaptainKeith1966

What about the last # on the date missing? And can someone show me a photo of a legit DD coin

6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Coins missing letters, numbers and/or devices are most often the result of a grease-filled die, like this one, and are as common as dirt.

What makes you think it is a doubled die?

You need to learn more about the die-making process and how coins are made before you start looking for errors. Otherwise, every odd-looking coin you find will seem like an error. ~ Chris

7. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Your coin is not a doubled die (DD). Here is a link that lists known doubled dies, so there are lots of pics of legit DDs
    www.doubleddie.com

Your coin is a filled die error. It's in an interesting location, but generally, it's very difficult to find someone to pay a premium for it. Your original post asked how much it was worth, and the answer is face value. Even though it's not worth anything extra, I would keep it if I found it

rrdenarius likes this.
  8. CaptainKeith1966

No guys, I know it's not a DD. I was looking for a photo so I can tell the difference. I found something on here that show what to look for. Thanks for your knowledge. I will be back when I find something strange on a coin. Haha

9. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Your coin is normal. It's worth face value. Welcome to CT.

10. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

Doubled Die is not a "look"
    There are many "stamping" errors. wiggling shifts in a die that create mechanical doubling, ejecting doubling, etc.

When the Die is MADE is when Doubled Dies are CREATED. The Die itself has to be doubled by accident during manufacture. Not when the coin itself is stamped and created.

Your question is not an simple one to answer.
    there are 8 classes of Doubled Dies. And it's still not as simple as that.
    Those are 8 "general classifications" with wild variations in each one.

So showing you a Double Die is not going to answer any question.
    You have to search for the types of DD classes for a particular year and mint. Then compare to the coin you have.

check this for 1990 P cents
    http://varietyvista.com/01b LC Doubled Dies Vol 2/DDO 1990.htm

search out complete websites about the classes of doubled dies and you'll have a long time to start learning.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
    Oldhoopster likes this.
  11. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Welcome to CT @CaptainKeith1966. As mentioned above, your coin is what is called a grease filled die. That's when the oils and debris in and around the minting press gets into the recesses of the die the results is a missing number, letter, or other detail. NAV, No Added Value. Worth face value, but keep on looking. Good luck.

12. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Worn Die Strike
    Worth 1 Cent

Welcome to CoinTalk

I_like_Morgans and Spark1951 like this.
  13. CaptainKeith1966

Ok well thanks info and I understand what you are saying about the different varieties of DD's and other errors. I got a book just on error coins and what to look for. Now let me ask this question ,the 1964 SMS penny that is worth a good chunk of change, does that particular coin have a mint mark on it? It seems like the only photos I've seen of it it has no mint mark. Just curious. Now I wont bother you guys again ....today. haha

Spark1951 likes this.
  14. Oldhoopster

Nice one. You should fit in here quite well:wacky:

Keep reading the posts and learning. Try to learn as much about the minting process as you can. The mint, Coin Week and some other sites have great you tube videos on the process (just stay away from the "Get Rich From Pocket change" junk).

Finally, there are some very knowledgeable numismatists on this site. While sometimes the answers are short, if you see 2 or 3 responses saying the same thing, then it's a high probability that it's correct. Trust me, if you portray yourself as a knowledgeable collector and post incorrect info, the members will let you have it

Cheech9712 likes this.
  15. fantastic and utterly unique error! This coin is in the $100,000 RANGE!!

16. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

You ask a good question that can be answered many ways. If you are asking can I sell the coin for a premium over face value, the answer is no.
    If you want an example of a coin like this, you would have to pay a small premium. There are several similar Lincoln Cents offered on ebay for under $6, including shipping.
    I think it is interesting and would take it to show and tell the next time my coin club meets. Unfortunately we will not meet soon.

17. Larry E

Larry E Well-Known Member

There are some who love to collect anything they think is unique, they may think it's worth a $1or 2

18. CaptainKeith1966

Yeah I heard that. I dont think I'm going to be one of those. I just like finding things that are say like hard to find and might be one of 3 or 4 in existence. But I really want to know more on that SMS penny bs cause my father had a 1964 Lincoln penny that he called his lucky penny and when he died I found it in a shoe box with some papers. I knew nothing about coins and never thought much about it till a few weeks ago and of course I cant find it now but I won't stop looking. I'll post it when I do and see what you guys think. Thanks again

19. Oldhoopster

Re: 1964 SMS cent
    Unless your father bought it at an auction in the late 80s/early 90s you don't have one. The 64 SMS coins were discovered in the estate of a former mint director (mid - late 80s I think) and sold to a prominent dealer. These ended up being graded and sold in the early 90s. None were ever sold by the mint.

The YouTube hacks never tell you the whole story. They just want to sensationalize things so people will click.

20. CaptainKeith1966

Well that's exactly the info I was looking for but never could get a straight answer for and no, I'm quite sure dad didnt attend many auctions or any estate sales !! Hahaha. Thank you much . Ive learned more in the 2 weeks from this site than I have in the 9 months I've been asking , like you said "the hacks" about basically the same questions. Goodnight all and I hope all of you and your families are safe from this virus.

21. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Thanks CaptainKeith

Draft saved Draft deleted