Is my nickel okay?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by bonyfish, Dec 5, 2010.

1. bonyfish

bonyfish New Member

I got this nickel last night from the gas station, and noticed that it wasn't normal. So before I get all excited, can anyone tell me what they think about it?

Attached Files:

• 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      115 KB
      Views:
    • 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      109.3 KB
      Views:
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. eric0911

eric0911 SMS-71

You have a westward journey commemerative nickel. Might be worth saving if you like it.

4. blsmothermon

blsmothermon Member

I think he's referring to the strike error. I'm not sure what it would be. If you could crop the photos down to the coins, magnify and post them it would be great.

5. eric0911

eric0911 SMS-71

Didn't enlarge the pics.:eek: You have no Idea how many people find one of those and ask me what it is. As for the error/damage, I'm no expert on those.

6. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Hard to tell by the small images!

7. coinhead63

coinhead63 Not slabbed yet

Measure the diameter. It should be .8125 inch. If you'd crop and enlarge the details will show. The best I can tell from the picture, I'd say the edge has been rolled (less than .8125 diameter) which is PMD making it only a curiosity.

8. bonyfish

bonyfish New Member

i hope these are better pics

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      54.6 KB
      Views:
    • 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      52.4 KB
      Views:
  9. blsmothermon

blsmothermon Member

Looks like a possible broadstrike or upsetting mill error. Doesn't look rolled to me. Due to mushyness of the fields, I'd say true error.

10. Pyrbob

Pyrbob Member

PMD. This is just damage from outside the mint. A broadstrike is a struck out of collar error and creates a coin larger in diameter with wider rims and a normal looking strike and the upset mill happens before the strike. Alot of coins looking like this pop up in forums and the most common answer for the cause of the damage is boucing around in the fins of a commercial dryer causing the damage to the edge and the features on the coin.

11. Eire73

Eire73 Tucan Sam

Agreed PMD due to a dryer and maybe some sort of chemical thus the lack luster of the coin.

12. bonyfish

bonyfish New Member

How could a commercial dryer cause the edges to look the way that they do? They almost look folded over, but you can still see the letters clearly especially on the reverse.

13. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

14. coinhead63

coinhead63 Not slabbed yet

How about the diameter? Normal is .8125 or 13/16.

15. Laxmaster92

Laxmaster92 Senior Member

Could be a huge struck through grease?

16. vnickels

vnickels Matt Draiss Numismatics & Galleries

nice coin find

17. lincolncent

lincolncent Future Storm Chaser Guy

I vote dryer or something similar.

Draft saved Draft deleted