Is my coin fake?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Tyler Wood, Aug 18, 2016.

1. Tyler Wood

Tyler Wood Member

I recently bought a Mexican 1968 25 pesos from a dealer at a flea market. The coin has a reeded edge and the strike is a little bit weak, and is also magnetic. On my Krause books it only lists the coin without a reeded edge. Is the coin a Chinese fake?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

We need more info than that. Weight, pictures.. Maybe your looking at wrong info in the book?
    I have seen Chinese fakes in flea markets but I can't give a definite answer without better info.

4. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

Magnetic, though...doesn't seem like a good sign.

5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

The edge should be smooth with incused lettering stating -
    INDEPENDENCIA Y LIBERTAD

6. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

They are very commonly sold fakes at flea markets. I have seen the exact coin you are describing OP at flea markets here along with the usual fake crap like Trade dollars, "1805" silver dollars, etc.

7. smarch

smarch Active Member

If a magnet sticks to it, absolutely a fake.

8. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

Those and other crowns like it are very common out there. Use a magnet next time. Also, take a good look at it so you know what crude fakes look like. I can spot them easily now--they tend to have mushy details, weak strikes, and wrong alignment when flipped. Edge discrepancies are harder to discern unless you have a good memory. There are also non-magnetic fakes but that's another story.

9. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Got that right! Might as well use it as a Fridge magnet. lol :D At least it will be used. j/k ;)

10. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

That's what I use!

mlov43 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted