Is my 1943 Copper Cent real?

Discussion in 'Frequently Asked Questions' started by National dealer, May 27, 2004.

1. pumpkinpie

pumpkinpie what is this I don*t even

The only way for a 1959 what cent to be made would be using old reverse dies and 1959 obverse dies.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

What?

4. Kid_Collector

Kid_Collector Member

i think he meant to put wheat.

5. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Yes, if it was made in the mint. However I think most coin collectors would be amazed at what is possible by
    counterfeiters. I recommend Charles M. Larson's book on Numismatic Forgery, especially the part about making dies from coins.
    http://www.amazon.com/Numismatic-Fo...7124/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326599808&sr=8-1

Jim

6. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

One comment about that book. I do not for once second believe the claims made by Mark Hoffman about his making the '59 wheat cent. The man was and is a consummate liar. And he would do and say anything to gain one iota of attention.

7. coinhead63

coinhead63 Not slabbed yet

Another tip off is the "lower leg" of the "3" angles slightly downward. You can't do that easily with an "8".

8. james m. wolfe

james m. wolfe New Member

1974-lincoln-memorial-aluminum-cent.jpg here is that 1974:hail:

charlietig likes this.
  9. missingsf

missingsf New Member

Well now My curiosity is stired i just bought a 1943 copper on ebay from a guy in england. Looks authentic from the picture, and got a magnet waiting. It was only a dollar so Im not holding my breath...you never know however I also just got possession of a 1942/1 dime and it is real. probably come back as an VF40 or so will keep you posted and send oout a picture afterwards

10. Nevadabell

Nevadabell A picture of me.

From all I know, the '59 wheat penny is a counterfeit. I don't know any sources that point out it being genuine. And the aluminum piece is from 1974.

11. Kibenella coins

Kibenella coins New Member

Of the 2 dozen copper 1943 cents made does anyone know if all 12 are accounted for? Do any of us have a chance of finding one in our change some day?

12. slackaction1

slackaction1 Supporter! Supporter

Approx. how many wheat cents to make a pound ?? thanks

13. ziggy9

ziggy9 *NEC SPERNO NEC TIMEO*

14. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Legomaster1 and charlietig like this.
  15. Galen59

Galen59 Gott helfe mir

16. BoneDust

BoneDust Active Member

Well as far as they know it is two dozen but that doesn't mean there aren't more. Curiously only one Denver has been found. Remember we thought there were only five 1913 V nickels at one time. BTW what is a good grading service for errors and/or unknown? I have a 1943 and notices some copper or gold color on it. I threw it GENTLY under my magnifier. It looks as if the copper color is under a coating. I took a cloth and started rubbing it down. Yeah, yeah, I know but I have noticed the copper color is starting to show up even more. Why?

17. BoneDust

BoneDust Active Member

18. gradofan

gradofan Member

I believe it's actually illegal to possess an authentic 1964 peace dollar. However there are legal "replicas" not stamped "COPY" and made from earlier dies from some professional engraver (famous, forget his name). Worth about $300 I think.

19. gradofan

gradofan Member

IF you do have a 1964 Peace, the government will seize it. I'm 99.9% sure...

20. SilverStacker1

SilverStacker1 New Member

There is a 1959d wheat penny. Very controversial.

21. jtwetzel

jtwetzel Member

Very interesting read! I learned a lot and the penny is my favorite to collect!

Draft saved Draft deleted