Is my 1877 Indian head penny real?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by amylynmeyer, Nov 3, 2012.

1. amylynmeyer

amylynmeyer New Member

He is in jail. I have 6 kids to take care of so that's why I'm in a bind. He did in fact call me and I'm mistaking when I said he found this one metal detecting. He said he found an 1879 and an 1889 silver dollars. He said this 1877 Indian head was purchased in a group of pennies on eBay, which makes me think its definitely a fake.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. amylynmeyer

amylynmeyer New Member

That does look a lot different. Thank you

4. amylynmeyer

amylynmeyer New Member

Well I have tons of coins to show. I'm glad I finally found this web site. Thank you

5. McBlzr

McBlzr Sr Professional Collector

6. amylynmeyer

amylynmeyer New Member

7. amylynmeyer

amylynmeyer New Member

I just took 2 more pictures since I have better lighting

8. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

Don't waste your time or money getting this obvious fake certified.

9. Cazkaboom

Cazkaboom One for all, all for me.

Nope. The N in ONE and CENT are not weak enough to prove real. Also, for a dug coin, it sure has a lot of luster left. Seems if they struck it, put it in the dirt, and dug it right back up.

10. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Turns out it wasn't dug, but bought as part of a lot.

11. Detecto92

Detecto92 Well-Known Member

I knew from the start it wasn't found with a metal detector. A cent will start turning brown within a month of being in the dirt. A indian head penny this old would be covered in a layer of verdigris.

12. mrweaseluv

mrweaseluv Supporter! Supporter

Sorry to say I have to agree with the others, the date does not look right and the N in one seems off. It appears to be a fake. I would still take it to a local dealer for his opinion but i would not spend the money to send it to a grading service.

13. Cazkaboom

Cazkaboom One for all, all for me.

Guess I need to read more of the thread before I jump in :eek:. But my stance on authenticity remains.

14. Bedford

Bedford Lackey For Coin Junkies

Sorry,It is not authentic . I am 100% positive .

15. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

Do not waste your money on certification fees since it is fake. Also, do not generally handle coins of potentially large value by placing them on your fingers, especially something that is copper with some red on it as you may leave fingerprints.

16. Saint Bunny

Saint Bunny New Member

do what i did burn your fingerprints off.

Draft saved Draft deleted