Is my 1877 Indian head penny real?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by amylynmeyer, Nov 3, 2012.

1. amylynmeyer

amylynmeyer New Member

I am in a financial bind and my husband has been building a coin collection since before we got married.
    That's been 10 years ago. He has a lot of very nice coins ( mainly all Indian head penny's ). He also does a
    lot of metal detecting any chance he has a free moment. I would like advice on rather or not this in particular coin is real or fake. I'm new to all this and scared to death of making a wrong choice. Thank you in advance!

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Saint Bunny

Saint Bunny New Member

how much did he pay for it?

4. cciesielski01

cciesielski01 Laced Up

i would be suspicious of it because a key date like that needs to be authenticated my a third party grader as well as any high end key date. it will sell much easier if it is graded and it will sell for more money

5. Saint Bunny

Saint Bunny New Member

its fake
    look at the 2nd 7 its diff at the bottom

6. cciesielski01

cciesielski01 Laced Up

i also noticed the N in ONE is not shallow like the business stirkes are supposed to be it may be the photos though.

7. amylynmeyer

amylynmeyer New Member

This one he found metal detecting. That's was I'm so suspicious of it. The ones I've
    purchased as gifts for him on eBay I've spent upward of a thousand dollars. I've tried
    researching this thing but I still just can't tell. I have just read that there are a lot of
    altered coins out there and I don't want to list it for something it's not.

8. Saint Bunny

Saint Bunny New Member

ask him this was it dirty when he found it

9. cciesielski01

cciesielski01 Laced Up

he found it metal detecting in that condition?? i would send it in for authenticating its the only way to truely tell especially with something as rare as this key date

10. McBlzr

McBlzr Sr Professional Collector

Finding that rare of date Indian in that condition, with that luster, metal detecting is very suspicious :rolleyes:

11. Saint Bunny

Saint Bunny New Member

i agree still send it in

12. amylynmeyer

amylynmeyer New Member

It was covered in mud. Everything he digs is. I bought him a metal detector 4 years
    ago and he's been addicted to it every since. We have all kind of neat finds, old
    watches, rings, necklaces, coins ( mainly all newer )

13. Saint Bunny

Saint Bunny New Member

14. amylynmeyer

amylynmeyer New Member

Where should I send it?

15. McBlzr

Do you have any local coin shops near you ?

16. cciesielski01

cciesielski01 Laced Up

to either anacs pcgs or ngc
    if you are doing it with the intention of selling pcgs and ngc graded coins sell for more usually
    anacs is a good company but they ar ebelieved to over grade coins so they usually sell for less than the same coin in ngc or a pcgs slab.
    anacs is the cheapest of the 3

17. playpossum0985

playpossum0985 Global Cooling Protester

The "N" in United looks pitted, appears to be an extra "S" or something after "States" and the first leg of the "M" in "America" looks to be missing. Also the one Diamond looks a bit on the strange side. I'm going with "A Pretty Decent Fake", but I'm not the expert by any means.

18. amylynmeyer

amylynmeyer New Member

Thank you so much for the info. I appreciate it.

19. areich

areich America*s Darling

Where is your husband? Since this is his coin, should he not be the one asking?

20. McBlzr

Most grading companies require a year membership at one of their different tier levels and a minimum of 5 coins submitted at one time.

Any local dealers may submit one coin for a fee with others that they are sending in.

NGC Link > http://www.ngccoin.com/services/services.aspx

21. JJK78

JJK78 Member

Draft saved Draft deleted