Is Lamination Damage an Error or PMD?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by yakpoo, Apr 21, 2019.

1. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

From what I've read, Lamination Errors (or more correctly "delamination" errors) can happen during the minting process or appear later, after the coin is in circulation. In either case, it's caused by an error in the planchet preparation process.

Would you call this an Error coin or Post Mint Damage (PMD)?

[​IMG]

ANACS calls it PMD, but I always thought laminations were errors.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mithril21

mithril21 Member

Neither, it is a planchet defect.

yakpoo likes this.
  4. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I would think it is an error coin and the details grade is for something else.

5. mithril21

mithril21 Member

yakpoo likes this.
  6. mithril21

mithril21 Member

Or a no grade #83 - peeling lamination which won’t even be holdered by PCGS.

yakpoo likes this.
  7. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

Thanks! I was thinking it was an error coin since its condition was caused by the minting process.

I have an 1875-S twenty cent piece (somewhere) graded by ANACS at MS63...and it has a lamination flaw. I'll post a pic if I can locate it.

As I recall, my 20¢ coin appeared as though the coin was struck over the damage...which may be why it graded.

8. mithril21

mithril21 Member

It is a little subjective because it depends on how severe the defect is.

Also, it is a material defect that was caused by the raw material supplier (possibly slag inclusions from melting and/or slivers from rolling of the strip). It is not a defect that was created at the mint during the minting process. The striking process may “reveal” the defect, but it was already there in the planchet to begin with.

9. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

This all depend on the age of the coin. The mint mixed and smelted their own metals years ago.

10. JCro57

JCro57 Making Errors Great Again

A lamination (or a de-lamination) is a Mint error so long as (1) nothing was done intentionally to cause a lamination, like use a tool to force off metal pieces that weren't already starting to separate/detach (2) it wasn't caused by environmental factors like corrosion from the elements. It has to be from a flaw that was unassisted.

Defefective planchets are also Mint errors so long as they also didn't receive any help.

That said, not all naturally occurring damage is a desirable error. Zinc rot on copper-plated cents is not desirable and in fact is the opositte, and is usually caused by trauma after it leaves the Mint, but striking errors can often scrape off copper exposing the zinc to corrosion.

~Joe C.

11. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

http://www.error-ref.com/zinc-deterioration-on-lincoln-cents/

12. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Slabs need to be generic to fit the mold for pricing within a given grade. Coins like this which fall outside of that parameter, can't be given a straight grade. They have a collector value, but it is something out of the mainstream. This coin did not grade because of the lamination, nothing else.

Let's put it this way. If you were collecting a set of Liberty Nickels in AU and saw an ad for this coin, with no mention of the lamination, would you be happy with this coin when you received in the mail?

Draft saved Draft deleted