Is it wrong to sell a "poor man's double die' cent on ebay?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Captainkirk, Sep 30, 2009.

?

Is it deceitful to sell a 'poor man's double die'

Poll closed Oct 10, 2009.
  1. Yes, it is deceitful, remove it immediately!

13 vote(s)
    26.0%
  2. No, as long as you list it as 'poor man's'

37 vote(s)
    74.0%
  1. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I am not too sure how much this helps, but I was serious when I said that I remember that term from when I was growing up in the mid-50's. I cannot say for sure 1955, 1956, or 1957, but I am sure it was one of those years. Were I guessing, I would say early 1956.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I remember the term as well. Indeed we seem to be contemporaries......

4. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

.........but I have a couple years on you. I even remember looking for the doubled dies in 55, but I never manage to find one - and I was raised in Pennsylvania.

5. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

You guys are really old.:D I got started in 63.
    Thanks to WoodenJefferson on CU for this.
    April 1986 COINS Mag.
    [​IMG]

6. Captainkirk

Captainkirk 73 Buick Riviera owner

This poll closes today. Thanks to everyone for all the informative posts. I remember finding a PMDD back around 1965, after a local collector showed me his 55 doubled die, I wanted one badly, but even then it was way out of my reach, I collected mostly from change. I knew even then, at 10 years old, that it was not a real doubled die, but I was happy to find the 'next best thing.' To this day, I still don't own a 55 DD, and probably never will. I think they were selling around $75.00 back then, but I had no income besides a weekly allowance around 3 dollars.
    Idhair, I started collecting in 1963 also, at 5 years old. I collected wheat cents and Franklin halves from circulation. 50 cents was a lot of money to me then.
    HEY! I just noticed that I am approaching 1000 posts, I'd better start thinking about a contest!

7. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Well it looks like a dead end. I felt sure one of the older dealers from the time would know.
    Don't guess many of those guys are still around.

8. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

If you dare, why don't you try Jerry. If he is conversant, you might get an answer from him.

9. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I'm not sure there is a good day for that but I might just give it a try.:D

I did find a little more info. David Lange was kind enough to get back with me with a few thoughts. There was not much demand for the real 55 DDO before 1960. That tells me the Poor Man's promotions probably came after that.
    He gave me some thoughts on where to start looking. I'll let you know what I find.

10. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

11. bebop

bebop New Member

I think it's ok alongs you explain it the proper way and explain it in detail that this is not the king of the doubled dies just die detrioration doubling on the date and not hub doubling .
    BEBOP SHO BOP

12. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I can't find anything more about who came up with the name.
    It can probably be found in the Numismatic Scrapbook Magazines between 1960 and 1964 but I don't have access to them and finally gave up looking online.
    If anyone finds anything, please let us know.

13. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I forgot this info. oreville posted this on the PCGS board.

I wonder if FJ Vollmer Inc of Bloomington Indiana had a role in that nomenclature as they were quite creative in naming of the various new discoveries in the 1960's and 1970's.

I remember his touting and being a major market maker of the 1968 no S proof set, 1970 no S proof set, 1970-S "atheist cents," the 1972 doubled die cents, etc. but am less sure of his advertising the 1955 Poorman's doubled die in the 1960's.

Harry Forman, of Philadelphia, PA was also "aggressive" in the 1960's in advertising new discoveries, whether major or minor as well.

-------------------------
    Happy collecting,
    Oreville

Draft saved Draft deleted