Is it wrong to sell a "poor man's double die' cent on ebay?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Captainkirk, Sep 30, 2009.

?

Is it deceitful to sell a 'poor man's double die'

Poll closed Oct 10, 2009.
  1. Yes, it is deceitful, remove it immediately!

13 vote(s)
    26.0%
  2. No, as long as you list it as 'poor man's'

37 vote(s)
    74.0%
  1. foundinrolls

foundinrolls Roll Searching Enthusiast

eBay is useless.

I am on a forum on eBay that is tasked to find bad sellers, and counterfeit coins. I have basically become inactive on that forum...Why...because eBay does nothing, zero, nada, zilch, when something is reported. Then if on that forum we warn against a bad sellr, counterfeiter, crooked self slabber, crooked power seller, we get warned by eBay that we will be removed, individually and as a group. eBay set up this group years ago, I've been on it for five years and not a single thing has ever come from it other than a few of us having been censored for telling the truth.

There are others that will tell you that there are indeed some excellent sellers that still use eBay BUT...most of eBay under any category and particularly with coins is a place full of scams, shams, crooks, counterfeiters and generally people who are clueless about what they are selling.
    Do a search for "double die" (People are too incompetent to even know the term is doubled die) and at least 60% or more of what results are machine doubled coins or coins with die deterioration doubling.

Do a search for the words "error coin" and a few real errors will turn up but many coins are mislabeled "One cent pennies" as I like to call them.

Much but not all of eBay is simply a haven for scammers.

So as bad as it is, forums like these are the places where we can save people money on eBay. As long as eBay is making fees from sellers, they don't care to do anything about any of the crooks on eBay.

It took the Canadian Govt. and major threats by the Canadian Royal Mounted Police to get eBay to remove listings of Canadian counterfeit coins off the site.

In the US, there is no effort under way by the Secret Service to shut down the flow of fakes from China. eBay loves every nickel that they make by sellers who are crooks so there is no incentive for eBay to do anything about any of the scammers.

Thanks

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Yankee

Yankee Senior Member

I say you should bid .1 cent on that guys coin!

4. tnguyen

tnguyen Junior Member

Hi all,

I'm so glad to have stumbled across this site, and even more grateful this thread! My wife and I are total newbies to coin collecting. In fact, 3 days new. Admittedly, we got ahead of ourselves on a few eBay listings. The most recent being an ungraded 1955/5 Doubled Die Error, no VDB, cracked skull and doubled "I" cent. This was our dream come true, four errors on a single coin. With less than 2 minutes remaining of the auction and another browser window opened to PCGS's price guide, we set our maximum bid high. I can't even begin to describe how relieved, happy and excited we were to have won it for $100.00. So now you can imagine how we felt after learning this is not a true doubled die error coin and the other 3 errors are quite common. We were naive and careless to assume this was a life changing opportunity. The coin is on it's way to us now, and needless to say, we will not be running and dancing to the mailbox. I hope our experience helps others.

Thanks,

Tin & Laura

5. jcuve

jcuve Lincoln variety fanatic

6. foundinrolls

foundinrolls Roll Searching Enthusiast

Get a refund from the seller if the seller has a return policy. If the coin is not as advertised you can get your money back.

If you paid with a credit card, immediately notify your credit card company that you were duped into a purchase of a poorly advertised item on eBay and that the item is not what it was advertised to be. They can sometimes reverse a charge.

Thanks,
    Bill

7. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

Good advice.

8. Yankee

Yankee Senior Member

Maybe it is super rare to the seller because he is running out of rolls of them to sell!

9. bhp3rd

bhp3rd Die varieties, Gems

Here is is CoinTalk memebers, the proof is in the pudding!

Here is is CoinTalk memebers, the proof is in the pudding! I will not stay silent any longer because of these type posts! These are the exact people I have been mentioning.
    Where there is the possibility of deceit people will be deceived - it's as simple as that.
    I don't care if the "coin" is listed as a "poor mans doubled die" or not.
    If it adds to confustion and deceit - if it has "always been called that" - if it is not listed correctly or is sort of kind of hidden in the description - if it is a coin worth .35 cents - if it is ever listed for sale and someone buys it, (for more than .35 cents) correctly described or not, it is a con.
    Why? Because there is no such thing as "a poor mans doubled die" - the entire phrase costs us more than it could ever be worth. "Poor mans" by itself means nothing and it is not a doubled die at all.
    Those that voted in this poll voted for what? The idea that just because it's been accepted by some and in fact, people should do their homework and should know by the price are wrong and misguilded. Why favour a sellers right to list something that continues to dash new peoples hopes and will forever continue to rip people off like these people.

The poll should be - how many of you, CoinTalk members have ever had to sit across from a couple like this and told them the truth about the piece of junk they just bought??? How many of you CoinTalk members, have purposely went out and bought one of these pieces of junk for your collection??? How many questions, inquires are there each and every day on CoinTalk regarding what is doubled and what's not and "is my coin a doubled die"?
    The very nature of die varieties is very complex with many people struggling just to begin to understand it. With all this you still want to keep a sellers right to list a 1955-P Lincoln struck from worn out dies and have it be advertised as a "poormansdoubleddie"???
    When in fact what really will continue to happen is: People like the ones above getting rippped off - people continue to be confused - new people will leave the hobby - myths and bad information continues to circulate - even people with much exsperience are missguilded and confused, (remember the one member who asked what Cherry Pickers Die # it was?) all this for a sellers right to list a worn out coin and make more money off nothing but illusion and dry hopes and dreams???
    You have got to be kidding if you think that this practice should continue.
    At first I did not care too much if someone (a seller) stated up front that it really was a PMDD but now even with the proper description it will continue to deceive, confuse and cheat people.
    So the poll really should read: "is it okay to ingaged in coin selling practices that deceive, confuse and cheat people just as long as they have been well established by "some dealer in the 1950's" and "everyone should know by now or by the $ amount" because that's what the question really is.

10. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

Welcome to the forum tnguyen . Sorry you had the experience you had. Hopefully you can return it as per e-bay's rules.

11. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Ben, you are 100% right but the bottom line is knowlege and education. Folks that are getting into the hobby need to educate themselves before hitting the "buy" button. And indeed how many of us here have made a purchase (as an newbie) and then found out later that the price paid was way over the top? I know I have.

12. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Hi tnguyen and welcome to the CT. Please feel free to ask questions. Folks here can help.
    Could you possibly post a link to the auction or the auction number?

13. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Found it. Wow, what a seller. What a bunch of hype. His keyboard got stuck on the word rare.

RARE 1955/5 Double Error No VDB Die Error US Coin Lots

Up for sale is a Seldomly seen Multi Error 1955/5 Die Error with extra I (IIBE) & Cracked Skull & Missing VDB initials.
    As you can see, the doubling in the date is very evident making this coin rare, the extra I in LIBERTY is also obvious making this coin even more rare. Now notice the Cracked Skull on this coin which makes this coin much more rarer, now for the icing on the cake, the designers initials are missing making this coin Extreamly Rare to say the least.

14. RUFUSREDDOG

RUFUSREDDOG Senior Member

I can't find the date on this dollar

Where's the date?

Could it be the rare invisible DD variety CHEERIO?

Attached Files:

15. jcuve

Please post a link...

16. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

17. jcuve

18. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

19. coins are us

coins are us New Member

I don't think there's a prioblem selling a poormans double die on ebay alongs you put the right description up and explain that it's not the real 1955 doubled die.
    Brad

20. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I'm still hung up on the history of the term. It's interesting how little is known.
    My thread on PCGS gave a bit of information but not enough.
    I though David Bowers might help me but it's been 20 years and my email probably never got to him. I had to use the Stacks web site so who knows who got it.
    I'm almost positive David would know.
    I started a new thread on NGC to see if maybe David Lange might join in with something not in my old books. Please share what you might know.
    Thanks

21. Captainkirk

Captainkirk 73 Buick Riviera owner

The Redbook mentions them, but not by that name, they say (about the 55 doubled die) "Do not confuse these with less-valuable pieces showing only minor traces of doubling."

Draft saved Draft deleted