Is it wrong to sell a "poor man's double die' cent on ebay?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Captainkirk, Sep 30, 2009.

?

Is it deceitful to sell a 'poor man's double die'

Poll closed Oct 10, 2009.
  1. Yes, it is deceitful, remove it immediately!

13 vote(s)
    26.0%
  2. No, as long as you list it as 'poor man's'

37 vote(s)
    74.0%
  1. Digenes

Digenes Just a collector

How is this an Wheat oddity? Is it just because someone decided to call it a poorman's doubled die 30 or so years ago that you think it is an oddity? If that is the case let me know, I have a bunch of 56,57,58 and 59 poorman's doubled dies I would be happy to sell you. I have run accross tons of 50's 60's cents with mechanical doubling or die deterioration. Personally I don't see the 55 with mechanical doubling or die deterioration any differently than any of the other cents of the same era. But that is just my take on this coin.

Dave

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. just coins

just coins New Member

Did you read through the thread ,and understand why this partcular coin was labeled , it doesn't matter if you have other dates like the 55 poormans doubled die those are not established as a poormans doubled die only the 55 was named that, , please read my earlier post ,and then you will understand the concept behind the 55 poormans doubled die.

As i stated in my other post I'm for a change to redirect this coin the way it should be labeled in a different way, to solve all the mass confussion on this crazy thread.

JC

4. just coins

just coins New Member

Here's one clue, just drop the last 7 letters of the first picture then add the first and second pic together What's the answer Rockdude.
    I told you i won't mention names.

Attached Files:

5. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

You didn't seem to have a problem with names in this post. "this was stated by Mike Diamond in a thread awhile back.
    he claims and did state in the theard that he feels die chips die gouges Md etc etc are errors since they should not appear on a coin technically they don't belong on a coin."
    Then you added 'die derterioration' in there "they really have to be extreme errors to bring a premium. There are die gouges and interior die Breaks and die deterioration doubling and machine doubling etc etc' I don't see where he added that.

6. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Poor poor coin. It can't be called by it's given name, it's not a variety, an error and now, not even an oddity. I guess it is "nothing but junk".

I wonder how many folks back in the 50's that were looking for the real thing found these and joined the hobby because of it?
    I also wonder in today's times how many find one and even after the disappointment that it's not the real one, still join the hobby. It would be cool with me if even 5% hung in there.

Millions of folks know this coin by it's given name and understand what it really is.
    Changing it's name at this point in history could do nothing but add too the confusion that is already there. This has nothing to do with people not wanting to change and much to do with those that understand that you can't change history. You live with it's given name but you educate those with interest and hope some will stay with the hobby.

I worked behind the counter for quite some time and understand the customer that thinks he has a coin worth thousands. I'll bet many of these folks are still collecting today because of the way I worked with them.

I still wish to know who coined the term:)

7. just coins

just coins New Member

What he was trying to say rockddude Die deterioration doubling is an exception to the rule since it's die wear, but he ment with DDD if they are servere enough and extreme enough they are errors..

I have seen examples of die deterioration doubling were it resembled a doubled die on many coins especially the quarters before the statehood ones were born those are extreme ones ,and what he was saying he does consider them errors then. I just want to clear that up.

I'm glad that you mention this in the post now Foundinrolls could see that somebody ELSE read what he said . NOW I DON'T LOOK LIKE A LIER. Thanks Rockdude /:smile

THE JAZZDRUMMER.

8. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

What these types of meandering threads need is a "Shoot me now" emoticon.

Jim

9. foundinrolls

foundinrolls Roll Searching Enthusiast

These will work for now :D

:desk:.....:headbang:....:rolling:

10. just coins

just coins New Member

OR THESE:mad::eek::confused::yawn::eek:dd::secret:

11. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Actually what these type of threads need is for those that have nothing to add that's on topic, is for them not to post anything that is not on topic.

I'm ready to leave this board myself because of those that start trashing a thread because others don't agree with them. I'll edit my post to this thread and you guys can have the place.

12. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

13. jallengomez

jallengomez Cessna 152 Jockey

14. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

15. just coins

just coins New Member

Jello if a person is a coin collector he should have knowledge in the field.

What point i'm trying to say do some research before buying a coin off ebay, if a individual is looking to buy it.

I don;t feel sorry for individuals that don't take the time to study about errors ,varieties, die clashes ,die chips etc etc .

When buying off ebay if you don't know what you are buying just don't take the chance on the coin as simple as that, especially if you don't know the terminology on a specific specimen.:)

JC

16. jessash1976

jessash1976 Coin knowledgeable

amen!

17. foundinrolls

The coin Chuck shows and that this link goes to is a DDO. The 1955 that is the result of Die deterioration is not a doubled die of any kind. That's one of the major issues with using that terminology when describing it.

Thanks,
    Bill

18. foundinrolls

JC,

A new collector counts on a person who is supposed to be a dealer to have his facts straight.

I agree that research is good but it is the responsibility of the seller to know what he is doing.

If a new collector gets ripped off by someone who is supposed to be a dealer and know what he or she is doing, I blame the dealer and not the new collector.

Bill

19. jallengomez

jallengomez Cessna 152 Jockey

Bill,

I see that now, and it could be confusing to novice buyer. I don't even have a problem with someone saying that there is "doubling" in the motto, date, whatever of a coin, but "double die" is too close a phrase to "doubled die." Heck, if I can sell a machine doubled coin for 50 cents or more because someone finds it interesting and I present it as such, I don't see a problem with that. I would never want to potentially mislead anyone by using the term "double die" though.

20. CashDude

CashDude Member

21. jessash1976

jessash1976 Coin knowledgeable

Draft saved Draft deleted