Is it worth roll searching Kennedy half dollars?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by icerain, Nov 29, 2011.

1. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

So I was looking through my parents coin collection which they basically gave me. And I noticed there are about twenty rolls of the Kennedy Half dollars. According to them they got them in the 90's and told me there might not be anything before 1980. They are all still in paper rolls and gathering dust, is there anything special about them or should I just put them in a box and leave them alone?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jcakcoin

jcakcoin New Member

If the coin is older than 1970, then keep it. They're 40% silver

4. kookoox10

kookoox10 ANA #3168546

Half dollars are always worth the look. What's the worse that can happen? Besides, more people are searching half dollar rolls between 2007-current because silver is such a gauntlet these days. I think you have a great chance at finding a nice cache of silver halves since they were originally purchased in the 90's when silver was a couple bucks an ounce. Let us know what you find.

5. Coinsnake

Coinsnake MorganMan

By the way, you can easily tell the ones containing silver by looking at the edge. If its a solid silver color it contains silver. 1964s contain 90% silver, while 1965-1970 are 40% silver.

If its 'sandwiched' looking with silver metal on the outsides with red, orange, or even black copper in the middle, there's no silver content. This will be much easier and faster than checking the date on every coin.

Hope this helps!!!

6. iGradeMS70

iGradeMS70 AKA BustHalfBrian

My local Wells Fargo in Huntington Beach, California, with whom I bank with I might add, is now charging $7-per-box; $4 for Brinks shipment, and $3 just for the luxury of having the option to search the boxes, or so I've gathered. Now, IMO, it's not worth the time or money. Have any other SoCal residents had a similar issue? :confused:

-Brian

7. NorthKorea

NorthKorea Dealer Member is a made up title...

It's possible (and far more likely) that they're trying to defray the costs associated with receiving the boxes back from you and having to return them to Brinks. That is unless they already charge you for depositing multiple rolls, which I doubt they do.

8. Cazkaboom

Cazkaboom One for all, all for me.

I'd say search 'em. What is there to lose?

9. kookoox10

kookoox10 ANA #3168546

My only issue here in the SF bay area is even finding a branch manager at any bank to go ahead and order a box. They just refuse to do it, wells Fargo, b of a, us bank...been to a bunch of each but there's no budge.

10. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

Thanks for the info. guys. I checked out some of the loose ones but so far there is nothing special. The oldest one is 1971, I did find 1990 P,D and some 1999 P I guess these are the better ones?

Oh and I'm going to wait until I get some tubes to check the rolls. Last thing I want is to have coins scattered all over the place.

11. Merc Crazy

Merc Crazy Bumbling numismatic fool

Just cash in the ones that aren't silver, they aren't worth anything over face.

12. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

I'd pay it in a heart beat. Matter of fact, I'd even pay more as long as I got a continuing fresh supply since there is so much more to look for than simply silver. The real "payoff" is in some of the obscure die varieties.

13. EndTimes

EndTimes New Member

Kennedy Half dollars.

About an hour ago I was at my local food store. The guy in front of me handed the cashier a handful of silver halfs. I then asked her how much was there. She told me 10 bucks worth, so i gave her the ten and she gave me the coins. Now I have 8 1964, 2 1966, 3 1967, 2 1968, 1 89 and 1 1974. The 1964 one are in great shape. Was this a good trade.

14. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

90%'ers: 8 x .36169 x $31 = $90.00 (give or take)
    40%'ers: 7 x .1479 x $31 = $32.00 (give or take)

Doh!

15. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

That is an awesome trade. Silver Kennedys are only 40% silver but the sell anywhere from $5 to $10 each.

Also a little update went through a few rolls. Nothing special but I did find a 1990-P in BU condition.

16. Dennis68

Dennis68 Member

. $10 for about $120. Worth of silver, I would say that was a pretty good deal.

17. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Correction: 1964 Kennedy's are 90% silver; 1965-1970 are 40% silver.

Chris

18. EndTimes

EndTimes New Member

[h=3] heavens to murgatroyd![/h]

19. EndTimes

EndTimes New Member

20. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

Oh yeah, forgot to to point that out. Thanks for the correction.

21. onecenter

onecenter Member

Right place and the right time! Absolutely wonderful!

Draft saved Draft deleted