Is it worth more now? Eliasberg 1894-S Dime crosses to PCGS

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Beefer518, Dec 24, 2020.

1. Mkman123

Mkman123 Well-Known Member

I'm so glad I don't collect US coins anymore. World coins are my thing and many collect raw or slabbed but even then, their isn't so much fighting and back and for regarding NGC vs PCGS all the time like US coins have.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

To me it means Bowel Movement, just a little humor, very little! Happy New Year.

4. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

It will get the sticker back, its the same grade to CAC. They don't recognize + grades so a 65 and 65+ are the same thing to them.

As I mentioned earlier you can't buy million dollar coins and quickly flip them at public auction. When coins like this do sell again quickly it's privately. One of the 1804 dollars was sold privately after being purchased at auction to name one. As far as coins that get crossed that 1854-S $5 was immediate crossed, the Paquett (or how ever you spell it) $20 was immediately crossed just to name a few. It's very normal for coins at that level to get put into PCGS holders if they aren't already there

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  5. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I have no doubt that these coins get crossed back and forth for a variety of reasons...I just don't believe that the slab makes ANY difference for these types of coins when it comes to selling them. For a high grade 1893-S Morgan...sure, but not on a coin such as this with a well known background. It just doesn't matter.

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree on this one.

GoldFinger1969 and furham like this.
  6. baseball21

Not back and forth, all the big ones have been going one way for many years

7. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

But with most of the questionable or "outrageous" upgrades seeming to be on the PCGS side in recent years, you wonder if slowly that might change.

Beefer518 and furham like this.
  8. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

65 to a 65+ is just a conjecture of opinion. I wouldn’t call it questionable or outrageous.

65 to 67? Yeah, that could be ridiculous.

micbraun, GoldFinger1969 and wxcoin like this.
  9. furham

furham Good Ole Boy

Or convenience to get a coin in your holder.

Randy Abercrombie and Beefer518 like this.
  10. baseball21

If you actually believe that’s been happening good luck

11. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

The thing is that it is happening. We all have seen these extreme over reaching grades that PCGS has been putting on coins for years now. You are the only one with blinders on.

12. Derek2200

Derek2200 Well-Known Member

13. GoldFinger1969

I do detect less of an inistence among forum members here and elsewhere to MUST be in PCGS. Not so among Big Time Heavy Hitters.

furham likes this.
  14. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

PCGS is trusted by many, particularly those who do not have or make the time to become knowledgeable themselves. I suppose if you're a Millionaire, you didn't get there by spending a lot of time on a hobby.

Whether that TRUST is deserved or not is a matter of debate, as we can see on this thread.

I personally think they are marketers more than dispassionate judges and certainly not as knowledgeable about minutia as they claim, They miss some pretty basic diagnostics at times.

A few are process errors, at least that is what they claim; but, some are just business decisions to run as many coins through the system in a minimal time-frame and maximize profits.

No one processor can possibly know the many nuances of varieties of every specialty class in the time frame allowed.

I do admit a bias toward raw coins because of the important edge devices in my area of specialty which are not visible on most TPG holders. If I'm going to pay a premium for a Lettered Edge, Reeded Edge or Edge of 93 or 94, I want to see the edge, not a CLAIM on the front of the holder.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2020
  15. GoldFinger1969

A real hot potato going forward will be the buyout of CLCT, PCGS's parent.

Justified or not, if there are any high-profile reports of misgrading or overgrading or other stories....or if NGC should just "close the gap" credibility-wise....you COULD see the PCGS Premium fade or even disappear.

The buyout could be totally irrelevant to any grading anomalies or grading changes...people will just ASSUME it is tied to that and there were be chatter about it in forums like these with appropriately-titled threads noting the dropoff about the time that the company got bought out.

Again, not saying it's going to happen or that it SHOULD even be a topic for discussion -- but it might be.

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  16. CamaroDMD

I suspect that the more valuable portions of CLCT will be split off to be their own companies and the rest possibly sold again. PCGS is not their most valuable brand so I could see it changing hands again.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2020
  17. GoldFinger1969

Not in any great quantity, I admit. But we've all seen the threads on Gradeflation with actual coins with actual grades going up sometimes 2 full numbers over time and increasing a coin's value by 10-30x.

If you should see more of those, whether deliberate or not, and given the CLCT buyout situation, you could have reputational doubt begin to creep in.

I see it all the time in the stock market, where companies in the same sector trade at premiums or discounts to the sector average. It takes a long time to change those perceptions but it CAN happen.

18. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

You are equating ownership change with management change. As far as I am aware, PCGS management is not changing, so grading standards and practices are not likely to drastically change

19. CamaroDMD

You never know. Ownership may push for policy changes.

20. GoldFinger1969

Totally agree...but folks will just ASSUME or ask questions or try and link it.

Nothing could change...hell, grading standards could get TOUGHER....and if you have just 1 credible poster on these or other forums who says he's no longer inclined to chase PCGS slabs vis a vis NGC's.....voila.

Or imagine some Big Time Heavy Hitter with a 7-figure coin who everybody expects to crack-out from NGC and instead he announces no plans to do that since he doesn't think it's "worth it" or necessary.

Logic and rationality have nothing to do with it, TC ! :D

21. CamaroDMD

There’s no way to know what will happen. Nothing could happen, something could happen...only time will tell. What we do know is what they have been in the past is reputable and popular in the market. I can’t imagine that would improve much...so I guess the fear is any change could lead to a decline.

Draft saved Draft deleted