Is it worth more now? Eliasberg 1894-S Dime crosses to PCGS

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Beefer518, Dec 24, 2020.

1. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

So the King of Dimes sold 12/17/20 at Stack's for $1,440,000 in an NGC PR65 CAC (green).

Buyer immediately sent to PCGS to cross, and it crossed at PR65+BM (what's BM?).

So the coin hasn't changed, but PCGS graders felt it was a +, and I'm okay with that. But my question is, will the next buyer feel it's worth even more ('+' value) now that it's in the PCGS holder? If he/she does, aren't they buying the label, and not the coin? I have a feeling the buyer on 12/17 will be putting it on the block again sometime soon, and IMO, it should fetch about the same $1.44M.

If it does go on the block relatively soon, this whole post will be answered, but I'm just wondering what you guys think will happen to the price now that it's in a PCGS vs NGC.

Story and auction links:
    PCGS Story - https://www.pcgs.com/news/ultra-rar...pJobID=2023161420&spReportId=MjAyMzE2MTQyMAS2

SB Auction Listing - https://auctions.stacksbowers.com/lots/view/3-P97M9/1894-s-barber-dime-proof-65-ngc-cac

capthank, GoldFinger1969 and Paul M. like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furham

furham Good Ole Boy

4. Sidney Osborne

Sidney Osborne Well-Known Member

Provenance...but who drops 1.4 million...just to look at...we should hear something in 2021... especially if shows go live....

Beefer518 likes this.
  5. ddddd

ddddd Member

I believe "BM" stands for Branch Mint Proof. At that time the majority of proofs came from Philadelphia so this is not an "official" proof.

As far as the price, I could see it bringing more next time (as long as it stickers again-it probably should since CAC ignores the plus and the grade stayed the same). At this price level buyers have been conditioned to go for PCGS graded coins. Given it was in an NGC holder during the Stacks auction, it is possible that some of the bigger buyers stayed away.

6. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

BM is branch mint

The grade really is the exact same. It was initially graded at NGC before + grading existed so that’s really not an upgrade.

As far as if it’s worth more possibly. Million dollar coins can have big swings but in general yes it would be. The PCGS holder is superior optically and provides better protection being water and scratch resistant and also the new chip and trueview which the old NGC holder had none of.

More importantly though, buyers at that level overwhelmingly prefer and want PCGS. We see this all the time with those coins being immediately crossed.

And now we can wait for the comments calling me a fan boy for reporting facts and how the market reacts

7. furham

furham Good Ole Boy

I think it's already apparent to everyone.

KBBPLL likes this.
  8. baseball21

Honestly probably not. It just sold. You can’t flip million dollar coins like that. It’s possible to do a private sale to someone who would pay more that didn’t want to get in a bidding war or wanted to see it crossed first, but you really can’t just buy it cross it and send it back to auction like that

I would expect it to go down if it reappeared soon.

Paul M. likes this.
  9. baseball21

@ddddd must be a fanboy too for saying the same thing huh

Im sorry the facts and market are not how you wish they were

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  10. furham

furham Good Ole Boy

I totally respect @ddddd and his opinions.

GoldFinger1969 and KBBPLL like this.
  11. baseball21

So you’re just trolling? Got it.

sorry to derail the thread a little bit time to get back on topic

12. furham

furham Good Ole Boy

How much does it cost to have a million dollar coin graded? Asking for a friend.

Stevearino likes this.
  13. baseball21

https://www.pcgs.com/servicesandfees

$300 plus 1 percent of the value plus shipping. So over 10k but that’s nothing if you can afford million dollar coins

Also the same price as NGC does

I should edit that that there may not be shipping as people may just be flying those in and back or any number of other ways

harrync and Paul M. like this.
  14. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

What did it sell for last time? How long did the last owner hold it,
    and after auction percentage bites, how much profit was realized?

15. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I honestly don't think the slab or the grade on it will make any difference if and when this coin comes up for auction again. This is basically a unique coin with a well known pedigree. The slab it's in won't change anything.

Why?

wxcoin, furham and Beefer518 like this.
  16. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

That's my thinking as well, so why cross it? To me it seems the $XXX spent on the cross was a waste.

Maybe your last sentence should read: The slab it's in shouldn't change anything.

Bob Evancho likes this.
  17. CamaroDMD

Well. It’s an upgraded holder. For all we know, PCGS did it for free just so they could use it for advertising.

18. KBBPLL

KBBPLL Well-Known Member

Maybe they did it for the registry, or just to have all their million dollar coins in identical holders, etc. As others have pointed out, the coin is so famous and well-documented that I seriously doubt somebody would pay more for it just because of the acronym on the plastic. It's the same coin regardless. I also doubt whether the new owner gives a hoot that there's a microchip in the slab or that it has "not all that True" View. I wonder if PCGS paid the owner to have it in their holder.

harrync, 1776, wxcoin and 2 others like this.
  19. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

It would definitely sell for more, as there are many PCGS chauvinistic buyers (I know a few high rollers) who won’t bid on NGC holder coins. I think they are crazy, as a coin like that is a special coin, no matter what holder it is in.

20. CamaroDMD

As a general rule...I agree with what you are saying. But with unique coins such as this I disagree.

wxcoin, Paul M., furham and 1 other person like this.
  21. baseball21

It means more on coins like that than low value coins

Paul M. likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted