Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Truth1253, Sep 14, 2016.

1. Truth1253

Truth1253 Southern boy

Is it worth having my high graded coins graded by PCGS? I heard they take 1% of the final grade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

4. Truth1253

Truth1253 Southern boy

So if I have so rare date proofs, but never been graded, you wouldn't suggest getting graded?

5. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Grading always depends on WHY? If you want to sell the coin, you want authentication of grade and authenticity. Otherwise, coin holders are pretty cheap compared to grading fees.

Truth1253 likes this.
  6. Truth1253

Truth1253 Southern boy

To be honest with you it would just be interesting to see if my coin dealer is giving me good deals and just the excitement of if one was considered more. For example I bought a 1809-O Morgan Dollar AU55 and I would like to have it professionally graded so I can see if he was right. He's a very nice gentleman and he's been in the business over 50 years and I'd love to get some reassurance that I trust him enough to do business with him and only him.

7. gronnh20

gronnh20 Well-Known Member

Post pictures of the coin here. There are some very knowledgeable folks on here. They know Morgans really well. You will get more responses with pictures.

Truth1253 likes this.
  8. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Yeah, people here LOVE Morgans and I feel confident they could give you a grade close to what a grading company would give. Plus, this is free, grading even a fairly cheap coin can cost some money. I see ANACS is running a special now, check the threads on the right hand side of the page.

9. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

If you have rare date proof by all means send them in.
    Reconsideration is only for PCGS coins that are already graded and your think they should have graded higher.

Truth1253 likes this.
  10. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Then don't depend on other people's opinions, and strive to acquire these grading skills on your own as any proper numismatist ought to do. The thing I hate most about TPG's is they tend to convince some collectors that they are the final arbiter of grade opinion, when they can't even grade the same coin twice in succession at the same number. TPG grading is a suggestion, not a standard.

Truth1253 and Seattlite86 like this.
  11. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

Maybe you meant 1899-o? If so it is not a very valuable coin in AU and would not be worth the cost of having it graded.

Truth1253 likes this.
  12. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Take yourself out of the situation, trying to look in from the outside, and then ask yourself if you really think this approach a good idea. Those who focus only on what they think are so-called "good deals" when they can't do for themselves often end up achieving the exact opposite of their intended goal. It's certainly good you're trying to verify, but there are better ways of doing so. You would also be wise to remember that most dealers aren't in the business of simply giving "good deals" away, at least without one hand washing the other. Also, a good deal can be relative; oftentimes it's better in the long run to pay up for quality or something truly special than it is to pay down for a dog.

Don't worry about submitting coins you cannot grade for yourself, and stop buying them, particularly if costly (to you) until you can. If you're plan is to buy such coins, the best and most intelligent "investment" you can make is in yourself.... by learning for yourself.

dwhiz and Truth1253 like this.
  13. Truth1253

Truth1253 Southern boy

That is some great advice I'll take that to heart.

14. Truth1253

Truth1253 Southern boy

I sure will do that Kentucky thank you,

15. gronnh20

gronnh20 Well-Known Member

I really hate when my Evelyn (i forgot her last name) speed reading kicks in. 1809-O what? Somehow I gleaned right over that fact. In light of this seemingly impossible fact, that there has been an 1809-O Morgan dollar hiding all these years, photos are now required from you. Did he sell it to you as an 1809-O Morgan Dollar? What price book did you find a value for this extremely rare world premiere coin?

Truth1253 likes this.
  16. Truth1253

Truth1253 Southern boy

Lol I'm sorry 1893-O. An 1809-O would have been truly rare.

gronnh20 likes this.
  17. Truth1253

Truth1253 Southern boy

I know it might be hard to see everyone individually but this is a little bit of my collection. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

gronnh20 likes this.
  18. Truth1253

Truth1253 Southern boy

My American Revolution Bicentennial Metal set. Very Rare Solid Gold Proof Medal... Flashy Mirrored Fields With Cameo Features... Obverse : Statue Of Liberty... Reverse : Great Seal of the United States... Comes in all Original Mint Packaging Including Cherrywood Presentation Case - Outer Box - Certificate Of Authenticity... 40.5 grams (1.4oz) of .900 Fine Gold... 33.6mm diameter... Made By The U.S. Mint... Only 5,396 Minted
    GOLD

8 1/2 oz of Silver 3" metal and the .9999 Silver as well.

19. Truth1253

Truth1253 Southern boy

20. Truth1253

Truth1253 Southern boy

And of course my most prized possession is the silvers that I found metal detector priceless to me. [​IMG]

gronnh20 likes this.
  21. Truth1253

Truth1253 Southern boy

[​IMG]

gronnh20 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted