Is it worth grading

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Dv8one, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Dv8one

Dv8one Active Member

Wondering if this is worth sending to pcgs if it will make it more valuable

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

guessing here. I would say yes. but others might say leave it in that container. wait for more experienced opinions...

4. MontCollector

MontCollector Well-Known Member

The GSA slabs are collectible in themselves and command a premium. So unless this grades MS65 or above, sending it in may not add much value imho. I can tell you that the higher grade ones tend to come in the slabs labeled "Uncirculated Silver Dollar" but I have seen a couple in the "Silver Dollar" labeled ones like yours reach MS64-MS65.

If you do decide to send it in, I would send it to NGC and ask them to leave it in the GSA slab it is in. I know NGC will grade these in their slabs...not so sure if PCGS does.

fish4uinmd likes this.
  5. Dv8one

Dv8one Active Member

There is a certificate inside thst says its uncirculated

6. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

I prefer the OGP. Can't tell from those pictures how it would grade but it would have to be pretty high to increase the value.

7. MontCollector

MontCollector Well-Known Member

Technically all the GSA Morgan Dollars are uncirculated. However when they slabbed them they had two "Labels" one said "Silver Dollar" on the front like yours. The other said "Uncirculated Silver Dollar" on the front. The ones they thought looked better or would grade higher went into the "Uncirculated Silver Dollar" slabs. The lower grade ones went into the ones like yours. Having said that they were not professional graders slabbing these coins and some higher grade ones did get put in slabs like yours.

Don't get me wrong. This is still a very nice coin and I would be proud to own it. But as @H8_modern has stated it would have to grade pretty high to add any more value.

As I said before If you decide to send it in, send it to NGC. They will grade it and leave it in the slab it is in.

tmoneyeagles likes this.
  8. IBetASilverDollar

IBetASilverDollar Well-Known Member

In general (would need better pictures to guess at your coin specifically) if it isn't a minimum of 64 with a chance at higher or a chance at PL it's not worth it.

Remember the coin is already authenticated and liquid as is unlike a normal raw CC.

9. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

I can't tell from the pics....but as mentioned, maybe worth grading in orig. holder if it's 64 or better. A 63 grade might actually deduct it's worth as opposed to leaving it be.

10. Dv8one

Dv8one Active Member

Thank you guys

Draft saved Draft deleted