Is it worth anything?

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by Ikw, Jul 7, 2018.

1. Ikw

Ikw Wild penny hunter

4DAA7017-D988-4F7E-AE8A-B6B0BA1944B9.jpeg I found this little jem. As most know the s mint mark was not struck in 1985. Why and how much? Thank you.

bhh likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Not sure where you got your information from, but "S" cents were minted in San Francisco. You have a proof strike cent. There were approximately 3.3 million proof cents minted in San Fran that year. Your coin is neither, rare, nor valuable. I wouldn't pay more than a few cents for your coin depending on if the scratches are on the case or the coin itself.
    That being said, it is a fun find. Where did you find it?

bhh and Ikw like this.
  4. DUNK 2

DUNK 2 Well-Known Member

It’s a proof. And they do exist. This is a recent sale on EBay.

CA44DFC7-DFE0-4C6B-B942-A5AF3AB99C7A.jpeg

bhh and Ikw like this.
  5. Ikw

Ikw Wild penny hunter

Just in my change.

bhh likes this.
  6. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Often referred to as an "impaired" proof since it is outside of its protection and shows signs of wear.

bhh likes this.
  7. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

It's unusual to find proof coins in circulation. Cool find, but it really only has minimal value

Kentucky, Ikw and bhh like this.
  8. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

From ngccoin.com....ms63/$3.30, ms64/$5.50 and ms65/$7.00.

As posted earlier in this thread by Dunk 2, ms63s are selling for $1.99, and it looks like a better grade ms66 sold for $19.95.

To put your coin in perspective for you, if you found it unprotected in your change and it has evidence of wear, it is an impaired proof that cannot now grade higher than au58+. The wear sustained now outside of its protective holder means its condition is less than "mint state".

The sad result is you may only be able to sell it for .50 cents to a dollar, and you should not expect to sell it for more than that.

I suspect someones relative passed away and heirs used proof set coins to pay for something. This injected them into circulation and permanently damaged their proof surfaces. This illustrates gross ignorance by the heirs and IMHO, is one of the most harmful things that can happen to a coin, short of using one for target practice...Spark

Note: edited to fix faulty grammar, much thanks to @NOS

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  9. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Someone got into Grandpa's coin collection to buy some candy.

Draft saved Draft deleted