IS IT WISE TO COLLECT GOLD/SILVER COINS CIRCULATED?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by girldly, Feb 25, 2017.

1. Fjpod

Fjpod Active Member

It is much more likely that our civilization will continue on with ups and downs, rather than fall into the abyss. I would save or invest based on that.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. doug444

doug444 STAMPS and POSTCARDS too!

It's less the abyss and more a noticeable decline in our standard of living. The years most of us were growing up, 50s thru 80s, were "golden" years for America and Americans.

Everything came up roses until Vietnam, when momentum began to falter, then came the oil crisis, vast expansion of both credit and the national debt, and nearly constant warfare and revolution in the third world, along with the machinations and ruses of predatory mega-corporations.

4. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

In all honesty it's far less likely there. People will completely lose it if they don't know where their next meal comes from and have no problem killing to feed their families. Total collapse means 3/4ths of the population doesn't survive minimum, if you live in a city you aren't making it.

There's not point in spending a life time preparing for something that unlikely.

5. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Don't overreact. Even in states where the currency collapses, most people have managed to get by OK until the currency is replaced/bailed out. I don't recall millions of Germans, Argentinians, Zimbabweans, or Vietnamese starving to death, shooting each other over toilet paper, or forced to flee to the forests and go into shelters. I'm not saying things were peachy for them, and yes, many lost life savings, but it was hardly the doomsday post-zombie apocalypse some of you dream of with joy, drool over with anticipation as you install your urine recycling equipment, and get orgasmic as you fantasise mass murdering others with your AKs as you stockpile bullets. Please seek counseling.

Yes, people starve en mass, usually in Sub-Sahara Africa due to bad farming and food distribution policies from corrupt, weak, and ineffective governments, or during the Cold War as a result of communist policies to mass-migrate populations with little planning or care for the well-being of the dispossessed, but few have died in comparison from currency collapse...especially in countries with strong institutions.

PS: suppose civilization completely collapses, half or more of the people die, and we enter another dark age of living in mud huts hugging pigs for heat at night, living in constant fear of attacks, and suffering and dying from illnesses we can easily cure today, I wouldn't want to survive anyways.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
  6. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

Ultimately, no one really knows what will happen so all anyone can really provide, short of necromancy or clairvoyance, are educated guesses. For now, I purchase gold and silver simply to diversify. I don't want my money all in one place so I have some here, some there. Gold and silver serves as one of those places. If one plans to purchase metal for this purpose, generally one should purchase metal at the lowest possible cost with as little numismatic markup as possible. But if one enjoys numismatic designs and types (as I do) then one should purchase those but with the realization that such purchases don't generally hold up as real investments over time (with exceptions, of course). Invest. Have fun.

7. Johnnie Black

Johnnie Black Neither Gentleman Nor Scholar

If you really want to survive the apocalypse then learn to make decent booze. You'll always have a means for trade.

8. Fjpod

Fjpod Active Member

Might be best to learn tho thrive under current conditions.

9. doug444

"actually paper will be more valuable than precious metals"

That's absurd.

10. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

You can't wipe your rectum with gold...well, you probably can, but it will be cold and hard.

Never underestimate mankind's desire for a soft and comfy medium with which to wipe his rear end. Toilet paper!

Kentucky and Parthicus like this.
  11. doug444

Never underestimate how long you will be remembered for that quote.

Johndoe2000$ and Sallent like this.
  12. handsomeblueboy

handsomeblueboy Kentuckyman

Gold and Silver have always been considered money. Long before they thought printing numbers on paper and calling it money, especially when not backed by gold and silver as it once was.

doug444 likes this.
  13. doug444

In the early stages of the Civil War, President Lincoln faced a LOT of opposition and skepticism for Treasury Secretary Salmon Chase's plan to issue paper money (our first Federal paper money, by the way) to support the war effort, issues known as Greenbacks.

Read this and become a little wiser about paper money:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenback_(1860s_money)

Prior to the Civil War, ALL "currency" had been gold or silver, except cents and half cents. No wonder citizens were upset.

======
    My dad, in the Army 1924 to 1947, remembered occasionally getting paid in gold in the late 1920s.

14. mynamespat

mynamespat Well-Known Member

Never underestimate a man's desire to have a clean bum. A clean bum is what separates man from beast.
    [​IMG]

Kentucky likes this.
  15. doug444

A strong dollar is not necessarily in our best interests. That causes our exports to be very expensive to the countries that buy them. In turn, we run a massive trade deficit, and the logical result is flat GDP and loss of domestic jobs.

16. Silverhouse

Silverhouse Well-Known Member

I guess he didn't squeeze the Charman.

17. doug444

Yeah, that guy looks like a real winner. You reckon he can "make change" for a 1-ounce gold? A 1/10th ounce? A silver dollar? Today's best illustration of a fundamental principle -- don't...stack...big...denominations.

18. Gilbert

Gilbert Part time collector Supporter

You obviously haven't traveled to India.:rolleyes:

19. doug444

Here's a little upcoming event that we can all follow in March and beyond. David Stockman was President Reagan's Budget Director, so he's not only an insider, he's been around. Here's what he posted today:

"I think what people are missing is this date, March 15th 2017. That’s the day that this debt ceiling holiday expires. We are burning cash at a $75 billion a month rate. By summer, they will be out of cash. Then we will be in the mother of all debt ceiling crises. Everything will grind to a halt."

We'll see how the EU, China, Trump, and the public react. Could be a non-event; we're already broke, we'll just be broker.

20. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Thanks, and this too:
    http://www.history.com/news/8-things-you-may-not-know-about-american-money

21. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

People are just Poo-pooing you.

Right Now, TODAY, I would gladly give you One Dollar for every Silver Dollar that you have, even $1.25 for it - that's more than it's Face Value!! And if you have $2.50 gold pieces, I'll even stretch and give you $5.00 for each one.

I know people love thinking apocalyptic situations .. but I just don't see it happening.
    lol

Draft saved Draft deleted