Is it true that cleaning a coin removes a surface film?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Gam3rBlake, Jun 17, 2021.

1. charley

charley Well-Known Member

I endorse the OSD post. (Where is my gift?)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Gam3rBlake

Gam3rBlake Well-Known Member

Its not so much that I don’t like cleaned coins. I would be willing to buy a cleaned coin.

It’s just that I want to know if it’s cleaned when I buy it.

I don’t want to pay the same price as if it was uncleaned if it’s clean.

Cheech9712, MIGuy and OldSilverDollar like this.
  4. Gam3rBlake

I got one of the ATB’s for my birthday last year and I love it :).

It’s the Pictured Rocks, Michigan one.

But it’s the burnished one not the bullion one.

563A063C-5AA3-435D-B390-A82A31EC82C8.jpeg

MIGuy, Scott J and OldSilverDollar like this.
  5. Scott J

Scott J Well-Known Member

They are cool. I have 2, this burnished one and a bullion one. 20210326_164810.jpg

Cheech9712, MIGuy and Gam3rBlake like this.
  6. Gam3rBlake

I love how hefty they feel.

They just feel like money lol.

MIGuy and Scott J like this.
  7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

You were more specific while I was more general. No problems. Thanks for the input.

8. VistaCruiser69

VistaCruiser69 Well-Known Member

For the coins I wish to hang onto, I will dip them in rubbing alcohol and then let the alcohol evaporate. The layer of surface film I'm removing is the germs, body fluids, skin cells, bacteria, etc. from whoever put them on the coin during circulation.

Scott J likes this.
  9. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Yes, "They" got me for doing the same thing on the Ancient Forum! :facepalm:

10. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I would do my very best to avoid problem coins in general...be it improperly cleaned, artificially toned, or any other issue. They do not hold their value and can be very hard to sell. If you are looking to buy a coin, by the nicest problem free example that is in your budget.

Insider likes this.
  11. Gam3rBlake

Are you including Ancients too?

Because most Ancients have been cleaned at some point in time. They’re often found buried and have to be or no one would know what kind of coin it is or who made it.

I don’t ever buy post-400AD coins cleaned though.

In fact I bought an F12 1799 Draped Bust Dollar problem free even though I could’ve bought a VF one cleaned at the same price.

charley likes this.
  12. CamaroDMD

Ancients are a little different. I don't collect ancient coins so I won't speak to that.

Hands down, buy the F12 1799 problem free over the VF problem coin. It will hold value better and be much easier to sell in the future if you decided to move it. Problem coins don't sell well and often you take a loss on them.

Gam3rBlake likes this.
  13. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

CamaroDMD, posted: "I would do my very best to avoid problem coins in general...be it improperly cleaned, artificially toned, or any other issue. They do not hold their value and can be very hard to sell. If you are looking to buy a coin, by the nicest problem free example that is in your budget.

Unfortunately, very few of us "do the right thing!" How many times do we see coins posted that folks bought BUT SOMETHING... Over time, it becomes a bigger BUT SOMETHING!

Buying coins is much more fun than waiting for the "right" coins. Any coin in your collection that needs a "but" will be a future problem.

In my personal experience, sometimes the ONLY EXCEPTION to the "But Rule" is "...but I had to pay over Graysheet to get it." Great coins that you'll love for as long as you own them often cost more. They are also extremely easy to sell as everyone wants them for the same reason you did when you bought them. :D

I find this is especially true for ancients.

MIGuy likes this.
  14. Gam3rBlake

Oh yeah I agree with that. I was mostly referring to Ancient coins. My LCS dealer told me years ago not to mess around with problem coins.

Although I think it would be OK for those coins I could never afford problem free.

I just feel bad for the problem coins. If no one buys them they’ll be melted down.

15. CamaroDMD

Over the last few years I have finally discovered how true this is. I have begun buying fewer coins...but saving my money and buying coins that I would be proud to own. I have never been happier with my collection and I have no doubt I could easily sell any of them.

Insider likes this.
  16. CamaroDMD

Someone will buy them...and be stuck with them.

17. Gam3rBlake

Well I mean if someone offered me an 1893S Morgan Dollar I would still buy it at the right price.

It may be cleaned but it’s still definitely worth than the $20 melt value of 0.77 oz of silver.

18. Mac McDonald

Mac McDonald Well-Known Member

And I've seen/done similar several times...even shared it on this forum a time or two but nothing so good/well as this. This is one of the better/best exposes incriminating the sham of TPG for what it really is (and isn't) that I've ever read. THANK YOU @OldSilverDollar...!

19. CamaroDMD

I think a problem 93-S is the last coin I would ever buy. You aren't gonna find one cheap enough to make it worth it (unless it's a fake) and 93-S are so common nobody who can afford one will buy a problem example.

20. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Very smart of you gam3. I'm very fortunate to not only have a local coin dealer, he is also a PH.D Numismatist. He is very helpful, reliable, and honest. Good for you, your posts are very informative and a pleasure to read, thank you.

21. Mac McDonald

Mac McDonald Well-Known Member

To clarify, there is not a "film" applied to the surface of, and/or around, the coins when minted, at/by the mint, etc...and so a "film" cannot be removed if not there in the first place. But luster can be, because it is. There were a lot of references to "improperly cleaning" coins removing this mystery "film"...but properly cleaning coins will not remove it...??? Each reference seems to say/suggest something similar by implication. So, what is the difference between "improperly cleaning" and properly cleaning...so that luster remains...? If y'all are talking "improperly cleaning," then there must be a properly cleaning...right...? Understand the compromising of luster (the "film") by various exposures, to include various cleaning processes...but only by improper and not proper cleaning...? Proper cleaning...?

RogerC and OldSilverDollar like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted