Is It Time To Change The Half Dollar Design?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by William Anderson, Feb 13, 2018.

1. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

but truth be told, my friend, these officials and politicians opinions change with the wind, or flow of funding...

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Fair enough, Mike. So tell me - when and how will coin collectors start becoming a serious source of campaign fund checks?

4. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Would have no chance of succeeding in less you can get the half-dollar to be in every day circulation coin first. That's the reason the state quarter program succeeded and the president dollar coin program failed. The quarters were in everyday circulation, and people notice the new state designs and started collecting them. Dollar coins didn't circulate, so no one saw the president dollar coins and no interest developed. Also the idea of trying to put a biography of a person on coin a little more than an inch in diameter make a very attractive coin, and frankly wouldn't work well because the lettering would have to be too small.

PlanoSteve likes this.
  5. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

I agree with Teddy Roosevelt on that one. No place for that motto. I am a devoutly religious person, but I don't like seeing a notation about Deity on "filthy lucre".

-jeffB and Paddy54 like this.
  6. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

The only reason older silver coins are valuable is due to the intrinsic value of the silver. I fine 1940 nickels in circulation, and just spend them. Not worth more than 5 cents. Same with old Wheatback cents unless it is a key date.

7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Love the Walkers, also love Uncke Ben.

LA_Geezer likes this.
  8. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

How the heck did this get a "best answer" notation?
    And I said the cent and half dollar to be eliminated not just the cent both are out dated coinage.

9. RICHARD K

RICHARD K MISTY & SASHA

I haven't received a half dollar in change in years .I guess retailers just get quarters from the bank. I am going to get some $2 bills from my local bank with some halves and pay my little Japanese girl at the pharmacy for my meds. and see her expression. I'm pretty sure she will be a little confused and ask the manager if the $2's are real, he or she probably will also be confused. ( they are all very young ) I personally like the Kennedy halves but have been around a long time, but I know if the mint changes they will come up with some crazy half dollar that will be like the S.B.A looser. I buy Kennedy and Bens. for survival cash (90% only). very surprised at a lot of the Kennedy halves are almost uncirculated, I guess because people knew they were removing silver from coins and bought all they could in the 60's & hoarded, till now, and selling at $7+ a coin. I am waiting for JPMorgan and other banks to stop manipulating silver prices and silver will rebound hopefully. something is out of whack when silver to gold is 80 to1 ratio. BUT STILL LIKE THOSE OLD BENJAMIN'S

10. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Don't blame the banks alone, that is just one side. On the other side are the big bullion dealers and their huge advertising plans. They can safely shout " Gold to increase 10X in less than 10 years", and nothing legally can be done, as it is just their opinion. JP Morgan try that and they would have all sorts of legal problems. There is really nothing scientific or accurate about a GSR in today's world. Pre -1964 a person could claim such as prices were more fixed due to the metals in currency. Today we have the PM-USD ratio being active. IMO . Jim

11. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

DULL AND UGLY, duller than the Barber design. I have the greatest admiration for Franklin himself, but not that coin design. Ick.

Well, I guess it has done some good -- that design, and Riff Raff from Rocky Horror Picture Show, are the two main things that have prevented me from growing my own hair long again. :rolleyes:

Mainebill likes this.
  12. RICHARD K

RICHARD K MISTY & SASHA

I read Deutcha bank got find twice and paid the fine because they made more cash than the fines, JPMorgan took over Bear Sterns and inherited all there problems and believe went to court and won there case (silver manipulation) I think the Judge let them go because he didn't want more bank troubles. the stock market sells a lot of silver paper contracts but doesn't have the silver to back it, so they have the computers sell high and make a few bucks and when the silver price is down again the computers kick in and buy, now that's what I call manipulation.jp Morgan holds 133 million ounces and counting. Maybe they know something we don't, Something to do with the Billderberg Group? I also wonder how much gold the US holds in it's 3 locations ,I bet it's not half of our debt.

13. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Riff-Raff was also an Underdog villain.
    riff-raff-underdog-1964-BP9H9C.jpg

14. mikenoodle

Truthfully I haven’t a clue as it doesn’t answer the original post.

I guess people just voted for it.

15. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

LoL yeah seems they will vote for anything these days...

16. mikenoodle

But why continue to make the nickel at s loss as well? You never answered me.

If we insist on a five cent coin, can we make it smaller and or cheaper?

17. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

I think the nickel should also be eliminated, but the 8 cent cost is not the reason.
    A nickel will be used thousands of times in transactions during it's life, and whether it costs 4 cents or 8 cents to make the profit or loss on the seigniorage is minimal.
    That argument that it costs more than face value to produce a nickel is mostly an illusion. Since they are making a profit on the dimes, quarters and unused dollar coins, more than makes up for it.

18. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Yeah I try to do that also, that is bullion investing~ buy low, sell high ~repeat.

19. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

I like the Franklins too. I had lots of them in uncirculated condition well hidden in my house, but when it was burgled these were found.

Incidentally, someone above posted that the typical cash register in a retail establishment doesn't have a space in the til for Halves... not so. There are five equally-sized hoppers for coins in the typical cash register drawer; the one to the far left could be used for halves, but generally has extra rolls of coins of the other denominations — especially in very busy locations.

20. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Easier said than done... for many people. "Knowing" that's what they want to do, and being able to "pull the trigger" are different skills. FOMO makes people act too late, at both ends.

21. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

But if they stopped making the five cent piece, their profits would go up.

Draft saved Draft deleted