Is It Time To Change The Half Dollar Design?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by William Anderson, Feb 13, 2018.

1. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

How about "Dame Liberty"? Or just "That Liberty Broad"?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Aesthetically, the LEAST objectionable one is the half dollar, to my eye. The dime needs to change, but it would be politically easier to take the word “LIBERTY” off the coins than to remove FDR.

4. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

If you are going to take anything off the coins it should be: In God We Trust and not Liberty.

Jeepfreak81 and stldanceartist like this.
  5. Silverhouse

Silverhouse Well-Known Member

The u.s. mint should consider some of his parody quarters. . :p.

6. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Oh for the days when the mint thought the Act of 1890 meant they HAD to change the design every 25 years.

Probably have to wait until the baby boomers die off. The "Greatest Generation" grew up adoring him, and the boomers grew up with their parents telling them how great he was. Generation X didn't get that and would probably be less likely to complain about his removal.

JPeace$ likes this.
  7. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

May I impose on you to send me a PM? I would send you one but am unable to do so. I can reply to a PM.

8. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

What about dollar coins?
    Are they still making NIFC Native American coins?
    Aren't there billions of Sacagaweas and President coins taking up space in storage vaults just waiting for the demise of the dollar bill and the push towards dollar coins? I have a relative in Canada (1 and 2 dollar coins) he doesn't even remember there even being a $1 Canadian bill (I do) and he showed me some nice new polymer notes they are using which have a longer circulation life.
    If you stop printing dollar bills and put the coins into circulation, eventually nature will take it's course the bills will become worn and be turned in, and the coins will circulate. Vending machines and tolls accept them. It's just the closed mindset that is stopping their usage. What can a dollar bill really buy these days? The coin is just a big quarter. They can stop printing one and two dollar bills.

LA_Geezer and Gilbert like this.
  9. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Taking the other side of the argument for a moment, do we really want a massive overhaul of our coinage now? Take a look at some of the cartoonish commemoratives coming out these days and ask yourself if you really want that style to represent all our coinage.:vomit:

Cheech9712, Gilbert and Paddy54 like this.
  10. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

I do agree and cartoonish is being generous as to what most really consider a joke!
    However my thoughts the cent needs to go end of story, the nickel,dime especially the quarter all need to be redesigned to something new that doesn't look like it was once part of a Simsons cartoon. As for the half who needs it? Even though there is a space for it in a cash pan no one uses them....bank don't order them unless you ask for them...and then they aren't happy witn your request.
    Under ground in a vault at the Federal reserve bank of Richmond Baltimore branch there's bag a d bags of dollar coins being stored ....why? No one wants them, or wants to use them....so we will comtinue to mint coins that no one wants,continue printing dollar notes that last 6 months or less as the dollar coins could last decades.
    We continue to do what other nations and countries realize was a waste of time and money.
    We continue to make coins with designs that are just ugly.....and the real coup de gras is they can't even remake or copy a timeless design without messing them up! Yes I'm talking about the Mercury dime, Standing Liberty,and Walker designs that even with the original designs in hand they botched it !
    Yes I understand a coin collector is an advocate to stop production of coins....as to me these aren't coins....they are pieces of metal that over time may be worth less than face because no one wants them.... sad very sad....when other countries mint art we mint cartoon characters.

Gilbert and -jeffB like this.
  11. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

Personally, I'd like to see all of our business coins change.

mikenoodle likes this.
  12. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I couldn’t agree more

13. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

The only way to de-politicize our coinage is to get people off of them. Period. End of story. That also goes for paper money.

14. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

Best Answer
    @Paddy54 why just eliminate the Cent? Why not the 5 Cent as well? Both cost more than face to make. I’m not taunting you, I am curious as to your reasoning.

-jeffB likes this.
  15. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Amen.

RLGluvcoins and 352sdeer like this.
  16. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

Personally, I think that featuring “great Americans” on our coinage and currency is a fine idea. Where I disagree is in the seeming permanence that these few Americans enjoy.

Feature people for a short period of time, maybe 20 years, give or take, and move on to honoring someone else

RLGluvcoins likes this.
  17. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

I think they should make the $2 bill a revolving commemorative. Start in 2019 with the Apollo XI crew and then change each year after that.

Neal and JPeace$ like this.
  18. 352sdeer

352sdeer Collecting Lincoln cents for 50 years!

Me too
    Reed

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
    Paddy54 likes this.
  19. calcol

calcol Supporter! Supporter

Guess the penny lady will have to change her name to the cent lady. Charmy will be sooooo disappointed. :(

Cal

20. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

This thread is going to loose a few members if it continues like this, so Stop now please.....I would hate to lose you.
    Imagine your likes would drop to zero! Jim

21. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

The cent and half dollar should be done away with,reason the cost, and both are no longer needed for commerce . As for the nickel,dime and quarter all are still used , granted the 5 cent coin cost what near or around 7 cents to make,but doing away with the cent ,and half would help off set cost for the coins that are used primarily in daily business.
    One needs to remember that 40 years ago when our money had true value,all coins were used and held their value in commerce. Adjust for inflation and see what their true values are by todays standards.
    Today walk out of a 7/11 store and cents are thrown all over the sidewalk and parking lot....40 /45 years ago you never saw that...and if you did you bent over and picked them up.
    I have nothing personal against the cent or half....they just out lived their time .

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
    RLGluvcoins, Gilbert and 352sdeer like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted