Is it Really Such a Sin?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by toned_morgan, Jan 16, 2019.

1. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

You can see traces of it but those NGC photos are so bad they're almost worthless. It's been years since it was graded anyway. But in that single instance that coin was given the blessing by NGC with that toning

toned_morgan likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I'm sure he does. I tagged him, so he'll likely post it if so.

4. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Very true.

5. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

Could very well be. Yet for a modern 2013 silver one, I just don't see it uniformly toning naturally.

6. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

I bought the walker raw from edynamic marketing from a plethora of other similarly-toned walkers. The prices of all of these were very low, indicating that they had given up selling them for what they were hoping to get. Interestingly, the prices realized increased substantially after I posted pictures of the example I bought.

The blue/purple bands looked very weird in hand, and there were no elevation chromatics.

Here is the coin:

A5810ED3-0EED-456B-9795-DA4DC02E21AF.jpeg 9F5A2C9C-C28C-494F-8AD3-D93A9513C52F.jpeg

Mainebill and C-B-D like this.
  7. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Being in an NGC/PCGS holder means nothing. This seller is known to have developed methods to alter coins already slabbed.

Photographs can be deceptive, and shifty sellers can manipulate pictures to suit their needs.

Even the coins that are unaltered are guilty by association. You're dealing with a known scam-artist and con-man. Can you really trust anything he's touched?

And finally, even if the coin is fine, do you really want to do business with that sort of a low-life? He could sell a 1913 Liberty Nickel, and it would be tainted for the sole reason that he was the one selling it.

TheFinn, NSP, brokecoinguy and 9 others like this.
  8. BlackberryPie

BlackberryPie I like pie

9. physics-fan3.14

Paul M. and BlackberryPie like this.
  10. EdThelorax

EdThelorax Well-Known Member

I could not agree more. If having a whole bunch of coins that look AT isn't proof enough, I have seen this more than once from this seller with zero morals. A TPG MS or proof RED cent that obviously isn't close to red. I wouldn't buy a single thing from this low life no matter how good of a deal it was.
    Want Proof?
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-RD-CO...=item3fb7571f49:g:lWsAAOSwM0ZbTenA:rk:44:pf:0

fiddlehead likes this.
  11. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Oh that one is baaaad.

12. baseball21

https://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/4333453-002/68/

NGC graded it that way

13. baseball21

Look I don't want to look like I'm defending something just because I have to point some things out, but there are a number of them that were graded that way. Check the pictures and auction records first.

Paul M. likes this.
  14. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Paul M. likes this.
  15. physics-fan3.14

But it also looks like it should not be RD..... So maybe NGC messed up on this one?

Regardless, the "guilty by association" and "you don't want to give money to that guy" principles still stand.

Paul M. and EdThelorax like this.
  16. toned_morgan

toned_morgan Toning Lover

Probably because of the glare lighting trick I explained before. All of his coins seem faded, luster-less, and just disgusting because of that trick.

Paul M. and C-B-D like this.
  17. baseball21

The RD is a bit weird for something with color, but I do not know NGCs policy as far as that goes.

Paul M., Kirkuleez and EdThelorax like this.
  18. physics-fan3.14

As a (former) collector of rainbow toned Lincoln cents, I've never seen a coin with toning garner the RD label. These are usually RB with that much red left. It doesn't really matter what color it has toned, but any color besides copper red should be counted as "not red."

Paul M., Seattlite86 and EdThelorax like this.
  19. baseball21

That's exactly what I was thinking and I believe how PCGS does it. I just wasn't sure if NGC treated toning the same as color changes or if they probably just gooned that one as far as the color designation goes.

20. toned_morgan

toned_morgan Toning Lover

I'm going to try this trick and see if it is really what he is doing. I will get back to you with pictures of the coins.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  21. robec

robec Junior Member

I have some. I am in agreement with you in that these should be RB.

MS65RD
    [​IMG]

MS65RD
    [​IMG]

PR66RD
    [​IMG]

PR68RD
    [​IMG]

PR65RD
    [​IMG]

PR65RD
    [​IMG]