Is it real??? Swap Meet Find

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by acsf89, Nov 8, 2010.

1. acsf89

acsf89 New Member

I am too excited for words...if it's real...I would have made a really good purchase...
    I went to a local swap meet and I was looking at their odds and ends and I
    came upon this coin..I freaked out..I saw a 1834 Capped bust Half priced at $12.50...
    I don't know if it was authentic or not...but it sure looks real...I looked at the rims
    and it says it just like how capped bust halves are....the surface looks wiped but
    I didn't care since the details was very clear...(look at pic below)...I searched all over
    the coin for a COPY sign but I coudn't find it anywhere....I asked the guy how he got
    the coin and he said got it from someone who said that it was a fake and also he
    doesnt know anything about coins....so I bargained (I didn't know if it was real)
    and got it down to $10.00....as far as this coin goes...it has the same size as my
    other capped bust halves and it feels the same silver content but im not sure...
    help me out???? I sure hope it is LEGIT...

swap meet.jpg

good luck and happy hunting
    -acsf89

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. FishyOne

FishyOne Member

Looks real to me. If the diameter and weight are correct, you've got a winner!

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Try the magnet test. If it clings to a magnet, it isn't silver.

Chris

5. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

$12.50??

Look to be real but I would have someone ck it out!
    there were a lot made out of silver and not marked copy in the 1960's!
    plus all the China Made coins too
    I hope it real!:thumb:

6. quartertapper

quartertapper Numismatist

It sure looks real to me too. I would definately get an expert's opinion on thi one. I know for a fact China's knocking some pretty good counterfeits of these currently. Gotta thank ebay for staying on top of it so well!?!?!

7. BR549

BR549 Junior Member

The design appears to be authentic, but the color indicates a prior cleaning. How harsh or how gentile can only be told by holding the coin in a good light source and rotating looking for hairlines, etc.

If it is genuine, nice find. If it is a contemporary counterfeit, it holds almost the same value as the real deal, so it is a win/win situation.

Happy Collecting.

8. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Looks real to me, and looks like O-120.

9. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Looks good to me. I think the clincher is a weight test. All of the old fakes of these failed weight, though I cannot comment on if there are any real silver coins coming out of China like these now.

These, (1834, worn, cleaned) use to run $20-25 so maybe its just an old stash put away and a lucky find. I used to see these at flea markets 20 years ago.

10. vnickels

vnickels Matt Draiss Numismatics & Galleries

nice find if it is legit.

11. acsf89

acsf89 New Member

it doesn't cling to the magnet...thank god...
    but I will let my LCS check it out tomorrow....
    im hoping...and the surface does look wiped..somewhat

12. Eire73

Eire73 Tucan Sam

Looks real to me including the wear and greyish coloring as these halfs do turn....nice pick up

13. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Nah, the surface don't look right to me! Let us know what ya find out but my guess is it's a vintage fake, or even a modern fake!! good luck :D

14. CheetahCats

CheetahCats Colonial & Early American

It doesn't look right to me either. But what exactly is a "vintage fake"? Do you mean contemporary counterfeit?

15. acsf89

acsf89 New Member

hahahaha...I knew it....it was indeed real after all...I was soo happy
    I coudn't wait tomorrow so I went to my LCS on my lunch break
    and come to find out that the coin is in fact legit/real...I will post more pics of
    it later when I get home...btw the dealer wants me to sell it to him for $110 as an EF/AU
    but obverse has been wiped some time ago...I didn't want to sell it since I'm a collector
    and not a seller....there's a big difference....

btw thank you for all of your opinions and I am so happy...that made my day...
    not bad for $10?? hehe

good luck and happy hunting
    -acsf89

16. acsf89

acsf89 New Member

I will try to take more pictures of it today...
    the picture I took was not really a good one...

17. CheetahCats

CheetahCats Colonial & Early American

Nice job :thumb:

18. acsf89

acsf89 New Member

thanks alot=)

19. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

I would have said sold. :) Nice pickup.

20. Rollbama13

Rollbama13 New Member

lucky devil..............:)

21. Rollbama13

Rollbama13 New Member

Last weekend my great aunt wanted me to clean out my great uncles h&h building, she tried to pay me but I would not take the 20 dollars. As I was going through some of the stuff I found a cigar box full of chinese 1 cash coins, war time eastern european coins, and tax tokens. She gave em to me, and that was plenty of pay!

Draft saved Draft deleted