Is it possible to have one side "blank"?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by iPen, Jan 12, 2018.

1. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

Specifically, I don't mean a blank planchet wherein "blank" is a descriptor of what the planchet looks like right before the coin gets struck (and also when the rim is already formed). But rather, where one side looks as if it was just punched out of the alloy sheet - it's completely flat with no concavity or raised rims. The other side has a raised rim and is indistinguishable from other regular coins. Is this possible or are all examples machined blank PMD?

Thanks in advance!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

No.. not possible

4. paddyman98

When the Blanks are fed into the edge Upsetting machine both sides will be raised. There is no way one side will stay completely flat.

mikenoodle, Chewmassa and iPen like this.
  5. Chewmassa

Chewmassa Now where could my pipe be?

Sometimes I feel like I've been fed into an upsetting machine...

6. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

I guess it's impossible for that to happen today, since the machine tolerance is tight (@2:12 below). But what about back in the day, like in 1900?

paddyman98 likes this.
  7. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

8. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

There is actually one possibility I can envision . . .

Imagine two blanks being fed into the coining chamber, one on top of the other. That would leave both coins able to receive one half of the design, and nothing on the opposite side of each of the blanks. The upset edge on the blank side of each coin would be flattened out again, producing a coin similar to that described by the OP.

It would help to see the coin the OP describes.

eddiespin and iPen like this.
  9. Searcher64

Searcher64 Member

If two planchets were stacked and stuck together, then it could be possible to have happened. Time of when, is the key.

eddiespin likes this.
  10. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

Yeah I thought about this but the tolerance is too tight, at least for modern coins.

Though, I guess it's possible if you get the wrong denomination in...

I was looking at this coin (the other side is a fully struck IHC obverse).

upload_2018-1-12_23-11-57.png

11. paddyman98

One quick look and I can tell it Post Mint Damage. That Reverse was manually removed.

You would need equal pressure on both sides in order for the Obverse side to be fully struck as you stated. There a Coins that are split in half after they are struck but I don't see the evidence on yours.

12. paddyman98

Here is an example from my collection -
    3722302-010.JPG

Michael K likes this.
  13. paddyman98

And here is an example of a Struck on a Split Planchet. It was split before the strike.
    From my collection -
    3581689-005+4.JPG

Michael K and iPen like this.
  14. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

Actually, now that I think about it some more... maybe two blanks can stack on top of each other and fit in the upsetting mill if the sheets they came from were deformed or flatter than normal. But they'd still have to somehow end up on top of one another...

15. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

Wait a minute... what if the blank skips the Upsetting Mill and goes straight to the strike?? Though I guess both sides would likely be struck. But still possible, right?

16. Dj67

Dj67 Active Member

I received this coin from my sister many years ago, she gave it because of the date, my birth year, and the weight of the coin is 3.0 , as I read the post reminded me of what I have and is it what this post is discussing? Ty
    Dottie

Attached Files:

17. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Not true. It is possible if the other die was flat with no rim cut into it.

18. TheFinn

It looks like it is probably a brockage.

19. TheFinn

Yes, it is called a brockage.

20. Dj67

Dj67 Active Member

So the this mean it is a MD, to be able to tell her that she did give me an actual error that started my collection, she would be astatic to hear.
    Dottie

21. paddyman98

I don't understand. What is a flat die?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
Draft saved Draft deleted