Is It Bad Form?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Randy Abercrombie, Dec 10, 2018.

1. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I have been a vocal opponent of the TPG’s. However I do love their on line authentication service and use it regularly.

If I am buying a coin on line I research the TPG authenticity service before I place a bid or make an offer. So here’s my question. Is it appropriate to check the authenticity while standing in a dealers place?

My number one guy, I wouldn’t consider doing it. But I could see being out of town in a different dealers place perhaps. He doesn’t know me and I don’t know him. And maybe he gets a bit miffed while I check his coin on my phone. And I am savvy enough to know that bad vibes can translate to higher prices.

Would you check authenticity while standing in a dealer place?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Why not? He does not have to know what you are doing! Better safe than sorry!

jafo50 and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  4. ddoomm1

ddoomm1 keep on running

And, on the other hand, you could explain exactly what you are doing and make light of the situation - that you have no reason not to trust the seller but that you don't want to get burned. Depending on the seller, this may still not be a foolproof plan.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  5. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Not only would I do it, I would tell him that I was doing it if he bothered to ask me what I was doing. IMO, there is nothing to hide in this regard.

Kasia, Paul M. and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  6. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

\

Absolutely.........If he's a reputable soul he won't consider such bad form. It's called doing your homework.

Paul M. and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  7. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I do it all the time when I'm at a coin show. I look at the piece, I talk to the dealer - I'm up front with him and tell him that I'm going to check the cert before we proceed. I've never met a dealer yet who argued.

8. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Bad form? . . . I think not!

Paul M., ldhair and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  9. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I had hoped you would answer. This may sound somewhat silly, but being a southerner you can understand that it’s far too easy to be polite to a fault sometimes at the detriment of a sound business transaction. I still like to believe a mans word is worth something. I am my business lawyers worst nightmare.

10. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

I’d not only look it up to view the online pictures (if available) but also to compare his price with the PG values. I don’t mind paying more than PG for the right coin, but I want to know the PG value before closing a deal.

11. CoinBlazer

CoinBlazer Numismatic Enthusiast

Oh I'm sure you have a story or two to tell one that one...

12. physics-fan3.14

Being polite is great. That's why I tell the dealer what I'm doing.

Trust but Verify is also great.

I feel that, as a Southerner, conducting a business transaction, I can reconcile those two things.

13. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

It's far better to risk decorum and verify authenticity face to face than to bring a coin home only to find that it's a fake or questionable. Then you have a real potential decorum issue on your hands, but the dealer will no longer be present to contest.

That begs the question: what do you do if your in person check turns up a bad number? That could also get awkward. Again, I think anyone would be able to tell a good dealer from a bad in such circumstances.

14. CoinBlazer

CoinBlazer Numismatic Enthusiast

What I would say

"Hey, this coin here, the certification doesn't match up, You may want to figure out what is going on with the coin. But for now I will have to pass on it, give me a call if everything turns out alright on the coin"

15. physics-fan3.14

Any reputable dealer would have done one of two things before even putting the coin in their display:

1. Checked the Cert for themselves

or

2. Recognized the hallmarks of a fake slab or fake coin, and not put the coin there in the first place.

If you do happen to catch a bad coin (which I have never done at a dealer's table), then the *only* acceptable action for the dealer is to immediately remove it from sale.

If there is any question of the integrity of a coin, the dealer must either be able to explain why I am wrong, or retract the coin.

Draft saved Draft deleted