Is it a steal or a skunk? (Mexico Reales)

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by RomanTheRussian, Jul 21, 2015.

1. RomanTheRussian

RomanTheRussian Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

I don't see any hairlines on it, but I suspect that it will take much longer than a year to make it look even close to natural.

4. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

Looks like it was cleaned with silver polish and a cloth. Doubt a re-toning will hide the hairlines.

By the way, I would never buy one of these from Spain. Huge volume of fakes and problem coins coming out of there.

5. RomanTheRussian

Thanks for the feedback, gents. Other than cleaning nothing is really raising any flags for me in terms of authenticity, but i'll check it once i have it in-hand. Definitely dipped-out, based on the pictures. If there are major hairlines not apparent in the photos - i'll end up taking him up on his 14 day return policy. It's still a neat gamble - don't see the true inverted MF variety too often.

6. Hispanicus

Hispanicus Stand Fast!

Very nice coin, definately cleaned. I've not purchased from EBay so don't know what the protocols are but at that price I would ask the seller for a picture of the rim.

7. serafino

serafino Well-Known Member

Nice coin, what I like is the seller listed the weight of the coin, many don't

Nice coin, what I like to see are all those tiny little dings and nicks that a coin picks up in circulation. Fakes usually don't have those.

Also, could you please describe how you are going to "body-bag" this coin in a napkin?. I guess it's a way to return the toning to coin that's been cleaned. Do you put anything in with the napkin?

8. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Look at the schnoz on that fellow....

Numismat and RomanTheRussian like this.
  9. RomanTheRussian

What I meant was that this coin was stripped of it's original skin. The who napkin thing was a reference to a discussion a while back on PCGS US coin forum where one of the members took a taco bell napkin and kept some coins in it for a year or so. Due to sulfur content in the paper the coin developed mild toning that was acceptable by PCGS and it graded problem-free.

10. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Not a steal nor a skunk but rather a gamble. Note that sellers in Europe usually don't tell you if a coin has been cleaned or if it has hairlines, but you could have asked them prior to the purchase. Don't forget returning an item may become difficult as customs regulations vary from country to country.

11. doppeltaler

doppeltaler Well-Known Member

too blast white for me

12. RomanTheRussian

Back to Spain it goes. Excessive hairlines with one very pronounced wipe mark across the field and bust. Oh, well - back to the hunt.

[​IMG]

13. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Harshly Cleaned! Le Skunk De Pew.........

14. Hispanicus

Hispanicus Stand Fast!

Sorry it turned out this way. There is a certain amount of emotional drain when you order something that has been a want list item from another country and when it arrives it's not exactly what you were expecting.

15. RomanTheRussian

No worries. The rush for me is in the hunt.

16. Hispanicus

Hispanicus Stand Fast!

Me too, the thrill of the hunt is part of the fun!

17. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Ouch, they sure did a nice job of obscuring that with their images.

18. RomanTheRussian

I received the response from the seller. He apologized for not mentioning the hairlines in the description and offered to not only reimburse me for my shipping charges back, but also offered a 10% on the next purchase with him. Very happy with this seller, even if not with the coin itself.

19. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Well he's making it right, gotta love a seller like that.

Draft saved Draft deleted