Is it a good idea to save older bills or not?

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Speedy, Jun 9, 2005.

1. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

Hey All...

Down through the years I have saved a few bills (I don't collect paper money) that I have seen that are older and such...is it worth it?

I have found
    1963 $10
    1950E $50 (I know this one is worth it!!!)
    1953 RED SEAL $5
    and more...some are not as old and some maybe older...

But I guess what my question would be...is this something easy to find or are the older bills "better"?

Speedy

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Flash

Flash New Member

When I get older bills in change, which is very rarely, I save them just for the coolness factor. As far as how much they are worth... as a general rule, probably not much more than face.

4. Speedy

That is about the same thing I do...I have spent many older bills so keep watching...you may find mine!!

Speedy

5. hey speedy,

what is the block letters for your 63 $10.00? there is a 63a block ia that is pretty scarce.

happy hunting,

michael

6. Speedy

Yes it is 1963A--the number is

B78919117A--Is that what you needed?

Speedy

7. Speedy

BTW--I also have found a 1934 $10 bill!!!

Speedy

8. hey speedy,

the 1963a block i was talking about turns out to be ia.
    what is the block letters on your 1934?
    to put my two cents in on your original question, i think it is just like coins. there are scads of wheaties worth 3 cents, but mixed in sometimes there is a 14d or 31s. you know what i mean? like i said on a different post i started saving currency i find in my vending machines to sell and support my coin habit. :p after i did a little snooping on some currency sites i found out what people thought were collectable. those are the only notes i pull any more.

happy hunting,

michael

9. Speedy

Nope--its B22....at least I think that is the block number...I know next to nothing about paper money!!

Speedy

10. the block letters are the prefix and suffix letters on the serial number.
    the first letter denotes the district the note is made for, there are 12 so the first letters are a-l. the last letter just runs sequentialy, like a-a, a-b, a-c and so on for all the districts. when they run out of serial numbers for a-a they move on to a-b. man you thought they made a lot of cents!!! :D

happy hunting,

michael

11. Speedy

Thanks for the info!

Speedy

12. crystalk64

crystalk64 Knight of the Coin Table

Speedy my friend, my best advise to you, is to KEEP the old bills. Just about everything prior to the 60's is bringing premiums! Get on Ebay and have a look at some of that older money and what it is bringing today. I am currently buying up anything that is within reason of my limited "note" money and glad I am. Many of the notes I am buying are in sad condition but I want examples for my little guy to have some day. I don't want them to be just pictures in a book. I want him to see the beauty and craftsmanship that went into our old currency. Rule of thumb, NEVER pass up an old bill, especially if you get it at face or close to it! Hang on to them Speedy as like it or not, someday you and those bills will get older!

13. Speedy

Hey Terry...thanks for your input...

More than likely I'll be saving some of my notes...who knows...maybe someday I'll want to collect paer money.

Speedy

14. Krasnaya Vityaz

Krasnaya Vityaz Always Right

I have approximately $200 in bills ranging from well worn 1928 gold certificates, and 1934 FRNs that I keep as emergency money. I have gotten the 1934's at the bank for face, the others were just a buck or two over face.

Their value will not ever increase precipitiously, but they are neat to keep for their intended purpose, an emergency.

15. Speedy

The gold certifcates are cool I think!!...I have only seen a few in person at the dealer shops and shows but never have found one in change.

Speedy

16. Krasnaya Vityaz

Krasnaya Vityaz Always Right

The gold certificates I purchased at a show. They really are not in a collectible grade, I would stretch to say they even approach fine unfortunately. The FRN's are actually nice notes.

Draft saved Draft deleted