Is it a good idea to make coin rings?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by coingeek12, Apr 23, 2014.

1. coingeek12

coingeek12 Well-Known Member

I have seen people do this, and i must say, i love the results! i looked up how to do it myself, and the upfront costs are about 50 dollars (this includes the coins) the price the sell for each: 40 dollars.
    So, i was talking to my dad, and he told me : "i wouldn't do that, i would leave the coins in there original condition." now, this is coming from a non-collector. i figured, well, the coins would be melted down if i dont do this, but if i do, its like destroying a piece of history, but so is melting it, but more so. is it a good idea?i dont want to go around destroying coins.
    However, its as if i am saving them from the melting chamber just by making them into rings, plus, they do look pretty cool.

What do you guys think?

~Michael

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

Who is melting coins?

coingeek12 likes this.
  4. coingeek12

Lots of people, i think.
    i have see vids on "how to melt silver dimes" scary stuff, scary stuff.

5. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Why not? Coin art has been around since coins.

coingeek12 likes this.
  6. coingeek12

ok. i knew about HOBO nickels, i think those are amazing!

austyn likes this.
  7. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

Personally I would do it with damaged coins. These things usually show one side when finished. So, but some coins where the other side is messed up, or the coin is horribly cleaned, or another serious defect. Then you are not destroying something today that collectors would love to have in 50 years.

I have seen way too many great coins destroyed by coin art over the years to wish to do it myself. I would only sleep at night destroying something a collector would not want anyway. We found a lincoln cent one time metal detecting, a 1909s VDB in AU that someone tried to drill a hole in the top for a pendant. Too sad.

Morganpeace11 and Seattlite86 like this.
  8. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Are you planning to acquire great rarities to use in making your rings? I doubt it, and can only assume that you're talking very common material, so don't worry about it; your project will have no measurable effect on the availability or supply of such coins.

9. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

I guess I disagree with you a little BBC, (very unusual). I have seen tons of coins destroyed over the years from odd lots. I am sure they were very common coins in there day, things like high grade capped bust quarters, half dimes, etc. Even though they were common in their day they aren't now, and I sure wish someone wound't have destroyed them. I view something like a WL half the same, I might own a few hundred and not feel bad about destroying one, but I bet you in 50-100 years someone would be hating me for doing that to that coin. That is why I advocate doing such things only to already seriously damaged coins.

Morganpeace11 and Seattlite86 like this.
  10. coingeek12

+1!
    i am not going to destroy the nice MS coins. only the junk-silver cleaned/had a bad life quarters/halves/dollars. along with state quarters as well.

11. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

You can make coins with details inside and out of the ring. if you use junk coins you will have junk rings, no or light details, most of these guys make one for show and then they make to order, everyone have a different ring size.
    You have to use a small coin like a nickle for woman, quarters (can be pressed down to fit a woman) or half for a man, dollar coins need a press to roll it down to a smaller size, i made two, dollar coins out of beat up Morgan and Peace dollars, they size 16, i wear a size 13, you need a press.you'll need more that $50 to do this right.
    i've made over 100 rings, using Foreign coins works good, first they have no clad centers, different sizes, lots cool details to make cheaper rings.
    i'll post some new picture's of my Silver State quarters, you can buy them(quarters) individually from ebay.

12. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

My gut feeling (based in part on this morning's breakfast burrito) is that more coins are destroyed by turning them into rings than by melting. Neither is an acceptable option in my book.

13. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Perhaps I should have been clearer in that my post was not meant as a general statement, but was tailored to the OP and based on the assumption that he would not have an interest in using anything but common (junk silver as an example) material. You made an excellent point with the S VDB story, and lord knows I've cringed painfully more times than I care to remember at the sight of certain coins, particularly classic/southern gold, forever ruined because of a choice made long ago. However, because of the OP's interest in coins, I assumed that this would disqualify him from making such mistakes, but you know what they say about making assumptions... In retrospect, and even though I personally see no real loss in damaging/destroying common melt material dollars, halves, etc, your suggestion to use only already damaged coins is certainly a better choice for one with such concerns.

14. coingeek12

i will be getting the junk silver from multiple places. my coin dealer,fee-bay, ETC.

15. treylxapi47

treylxapi47 Well-Known Member Dealer

I actually wear a silver Mexican 50 Centavos coin ring. Better fit, a little different than your walking lib half dollar rings, and it turned out beautiful.

Im a true, down south, blue blooded American and I still find meaning and enjoy my Mexican ring. But then ago, Mexican coins are my other collecting niche.

16. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

Agreed. There are plenty of old and damaged coins out there that aren't worth more than melt. These are great candidates for such a project. I wouldn't make one from a nice BU Morgan Dollar...but damaged coin, why not.

It's a little different, but when I was in dental school I made my wife a ring. I waxed up a pattern and cast it for her. I didn't have any money to go and buy gold...so I thought silver would do. I had a few junk silver coins lying around so I just melted them down and cast it out of that. She has worn it everyday for nearly 5 years.

I know that ring doesn't have any resemblance of a coin...as true "coin rings" do...but taking a junk coin and making a piece of art out of it is perfectly acceptable to me.

17. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

There used to be some really cool ones on Ebay.

18. coingeek12

there still are, they are just hard to find cause' of all the junk out there. :(

19. fiatfiasco

fiatfiasco Nasty Details Member

I cannot believe this is a thread/question. (Is it business venture nerves or pat on the back fishing?)

Should you make a ring out of a 1933 Sneaked Out Double Eagle?
    No, prob not. Its worth a few milly.
    Should you make a ring out of a circulated Morgan dollar?
    NO "CORRECT" ANSWER - It is your property, you can do as you please, it is your property.

I guess the answer you are looking for is this - As long as you aren't destroying some significant (numismatic or value based) piece, do with your property as you please. If you can make rings and sell them for profit, go for it.

I have even considered buying one of these before. And lets try not to freak out because a direct response was made that contained no cursing, no insults, nothing offensive.

20. austyn

austyn Member

I think if there not worth much or a bad looking coin you could melt them and that would be fine

21. coingeek12

but coin rings preserve the coin more than melting it for the silver does.
    plus the rings have higher premiums too! :D

Draft saved Draft deleted