Is it 1980 again? Always love to look at this joints adds from time to time

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by 1953, May 3, 2018.

1. 1953

1953 Active Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. gold standard db

gold standard db Active Member

I picked up a small uncut 1 dollar sheet in a Littleton holder at a show for a few bucks and gifted it to a friend. Was tempted to zigzag cut the bills and mess with my friends.

Sunflower_Coins likes this.
  4. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

It is a wonder that they maintain market share in these days of information overload...... I'll just say that their "coins on approval" envelopes kept this young soldier afloat while overseas in the late 1970's.

Theodosius and Sunflower_Coins like this.
  5. Jeepfreak81

Jeepfreak81 Well-Known Member

My grandmother has worked there for over 50 years, I grew up the town over and live here in Littleton now. I even worked there for a year after high school and my wife worked for them processing orders for a couple years. In fact, I just placed an order with them a couple nights ago because I had a $25 off 50 or more coupon. I like to get some of my supplies there, but in general the coin prices are way high. Sometimes they have a good ad or sale though.

6. Sunflower_Coins

Sunflower_Coins Importer and Exporter

Is there any defense for what Littleton does? The coins at 3-4 times market value, the gimmicky holders that people bring you for "appraisal", the annoying ads that fall out your mail...I guess I'm preaching to the choir here.

gold standard db likes this.
  7. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

I clipped a coupon for a Morgan Silver Dollar out of the Sunday paper about 25 years ago. When I had not received my dollar after more than three months, I mailed a letter that received no reply. I found their phone # somehow then phoned them. I was transferred a couple of times but then got a dial tone. More months passed and still no coin, so I phoned again; this time I spoke to a man who told me that Littleton was waiting on more coins from the mint. Sarcastically I asked if they had a time machine, so I was put on hold. I assumed the person was checking to see if Littleton had a time machine (I jest). After a while the person was back to ask if they had my correct address. After I verified this for him, he told me that I would receive a refund. That arrived a few months later — in all, the time spent was more than a year.

8. Jeepfreak81

I don't really know, I agree most of their coins are well over priced but the company has grown to hundreds of employees so somebody is buying thier stuff. I live only miles from them, I've worked there, and am also an occasional customer. However, I really can't see how they do so well with those prices in an age where the internet rules. Their coins on approval club is a big part of their success I think.

I think they've come a long way since then, but I'm not defending them. Like I say, I've got a mixed relationship and honestly they've been a part of my life since I can remember because of family working there. I still fail to see how they get away with charging those prices on coins.

Sunflower_Coins likes this.
  9. NumisNinja

NumisNinja Active Member

I just bought from them based on some promotional ads I saw on Facebook. $7 for 7 presidential dollars. Naturally, all were beat up but one. But still, no money lost. However, I also ordered a couple junk walker halves and they werent in the shipment. Instead was a bunch of modern clad coins in celo packs, along with an Indian nickel and merc dime. Again, all low quality. Not sure if they mixed my order up or what's happening. Maybe my walkers are still on the way and they sent me those extra coins in error. Dunno, but it's been an odd first experience with that company so far.

10. Jeepfreak81

What you most likely got was a shipment of their coins on approval. It's pretty much standard practice for them when you buy an ad that you are enrolled in one of their coins on approval clubs. You have the option to review them and buy or send some or all of them back. I'd check your invoice and see if that's what it is. If it is and you don't want to continue with it (monthly shipments I think) just send them back and note that you'd like to be removed from the club. Hopefully it's not a mixup though and your walkers are still coming.

PS - I took advantage of that 7 for $7 ad as well and mine were also well beaten, but with the free Quarter I got with this deal I made money.

11. NumisNinja

NumisNinja Active Member

Yep, I didn't realize they do that. Now I have to unenroll from that service. I really don't find any value in ordering overpriced modern clad coins and junk silver. I can flush my money down the drain on eBay if I want to go that route.

Draft saved Draft deleted