Is ICG really as bad as many people say?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by TylerH, Oct 10, 2018.

1. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

I couldn't tell if it was graffiti or adjustment marks. They look like they are in nice parallel lines, line they had been done with a file. Have to see it in hand with a loupe to tell for sure.

4. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

I challenge you to try to crack an SEGS slab open. You might change your mind about ICG being the toughest.

Bob Evancho, Insider, Paul M. and 3 others like this.
  5. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Adjustment marks are (usually) along the edge and always struck into the coin. These are short and onviously done after striking. Plus planchets were not filed after draped bust coins.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
    Paul M. likes this.
  6. BigTee44

BigTee44 Well-Known Member

That is one slab I have yet to crack!

Paul M. likes this.
  7. STU

STU Active Member

I have lots of icg coins have no problem with them

Paul M. likes this.
  8. imrich

imrich Supporter! Supporter

Kudos! Without a doubt!

I can crack all of them intact, but SEGS takes great patience with its changing profile. That slab with its changing thickness and top recess, eventually convinced me to use my fine blade small band saw to make 3 cuts. One across below the label recess through the circular coin holder top, and 2 lengthwise through the coin holder, saving the label and easily exposing the coin.

JMHO SLABS.jpg

Bob Evancho, green18 and Paul M. like this.
  9. Ana Silverbell

Ana Silverbell Well-Known Member

I have cracked open ICG and SEGS slabs (actually my husband has). He states SEGS was tougher. The easiest process for cracking out a coin, is what he calls the car-door-opener. (The following is not recommended as a method for breaking open a coin slab.) On one occasion my husband was hastily getting into his car and he closed the driver's side door quickly to get out of the way of oncoming traffic. He was holding a slabbed Franklin half in his hand and dropped it as he was entering the car. The car door closed on the slab and cracked out the coin, without a single mark or scratch!

Paul M. and micbraun like this.
  10. TheFinn

Thanks for that info. I have seen adjustment marks near an edge, rather than across the face of the planchet - it was probably a warped planchet from punching it out of the strip. Now that you mention it, I don't remember seeing adjustment marks on bust halves. So, they were able to be more precise in planchet weights before 1808?

11. TheFinn

I cracked a gem 1882 Morgan out of a SEGS slab to get it into a PCGS slab. I don't remember it being any tougher than an NGC or PCGS. The old ANACS slabs with the blue labels are a little interesting because the plastic is a little soft and forgiving, which is a bit like "pounding sand".

12. TheFinn

I cracked a gem 1882 Morgan out of a SEGS slab to get it into a PCGS slab. I don't remember it being any tougher than an NGC or PCGS. The old ANACS slabs with the blue labels are a little interesting because the plastic is a little soft and forgiving, which is a bit like "pounding sand".

13. TypeCoin971793

That, or it just ceased to be exonomical to make sure every planchet was exactly the correct weight.

14. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

I think they’re doing a great job overall. Maybe they’re a bit more lenient when it comes to cleaned coins, but they sure know what they’re doing.

15. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

I hate to say it, but today I came across a more recently graded 1884-CC Morgan Dollar that was graded MS-65 by ICG. I was floored at how clean the surfaces of the coin was. But looking at it, it had the tell tale signs of being messed with. I used my higher powered loupe and examined the coin closer and noticed that indeed the fields had been altered. The luster looked off and weak for how clean it appeared. Had it not been messed with and had full luster it would have been a 67 shot 68. I think they quietly net graded it a 65. Not sure if they did it because they thought it was altered surfaces (yet barely noticeable) or if they simply thought the luster was muted (and did not catch the problem). Either way it would never make it through PCGS with a straight grade and should never have made it through ICG.

16. TypeCoin971793

Quite the opposite, actually. PCGS lets far more cleaned coins through than ANACS

Bob Evancho, Insider and Jaelus like this.
  17. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

Never say never. We've seen a couple examples posted in this thread. It makes one wonder how many more are out there. No TPG is infallible.

Bob Evancho likes this.
  18. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Prove it!

19. TypeCoin971793

It’s kinda hard to prove 5 years of observations from coin shows, ebay, and coin forums. I am just as surprised by the observation, but it is what it is. I am not sure how to prove that.

Sorry if that upsets people’s petty ideas of the glorious PCGS.

Insider and Pickin and Grinin like this.
  20. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

Some folks think David H. dresses like a beach bum:cool:

21. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Nothing to prove. The proof is all over the place. The truth is their is so much crap in ALL TPGS slabs that it is scary! I'm writing about straight graded coins that I personally would "detail."

Started long ago too. Read the ANA Grading guide. What does "continuous hairlining throughout" mean to you? These days, eye appeal counts most and overrides practically anything.

Draft saved Draft deleted