Is ICG really as bad as many people say?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by TylerH, Oct 10, 2018.

1. BigTee44

BigTee44 Well-Known Member

Any reasons why?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Clay Bowen

Clay Bowen HaveYouSeenTheWizard?

I don't think I've ever heard anything bad about ICG. Sure they aren't as large as the big two, but I think they do a good job and grade very fairly. They are also a lot cheaper than the others.

4. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

Perhaps a poor choice of wording on my part, but trust is what this thread is all about...My experience is this...lesser money changes hands with the lesser trusted grading companies, even though the coin may be as accurately graded as if it were graded by the BIG two.

CoinCorgi likes this.
  5. TylerH

TylerH Well-Known Member

The trust and “why” is more my question.

I see people just ripping them apart, but when it comes to why it’s generally “they made this mistake once” (who hasnt) or “they grade modern coins MS 70 for ______ tv show” or the ever popular “ICG means I Can’t Grade”

Comparative example, there is a comic book grading company the apoplectic say is awful, and it’s been PROVEN they are awful (keeping comics that were sent in and grading/ sending back second printings instead, etc..) legit thievery.

I don’t hear reasons like that for ICG.

6. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

When ICG first came on the scene, they were even tougher on coins of SOME series than the big two. I feel they went through a "too easy" phase, too. Right now, my sense is they are just a tad too easy on some high 50's to low 60's range grades, but just a VERY FEW years ago they were a bit too tough on those. The whole industry moved some on those types of coins. It's my sense ICG might have moved just a slight bit more. I think they might be tempted to 64 some coins that the big 2 might 63.

chascat likes this.
  7. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

An trusted reputable company and service, but like wise folks say........buy the coin and not the slab. You guys are the final grader.........

Kentucky and Insider like this.
  8. Sunflower_Coins

Sunflower_Coins Importer and Exporter

You also have to remember CAC only accepts PCGS and NGC coins. People looking to get that green bean won't waste their time or money on ICG or ANACS.

Insider likes this.
  9. Dug13

Dug13 Well-Known Member

Why does CAC refuse ICG and ANACS slabs?

Paul M. likes this.
  10. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Follow the money.

wxcoin and Paul M. like this.
  11. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

I consider then above ANACS overall and would rank their holder as the 2nd best one behind PCGS.

Only the internet makes it seem that easy.

Been happening for decades and some really ugly MS get graded as AU now as well. It's a good change though. It was always a stupid idea to have a hard line between AU and MS making it two different grading scales on top of each other where a completely bagged up hideous ms 60 was ranked higher than a pristine 58 because of a speck of rub on a high point.

The scale is just evolving to become more of a fluid continuous scale which it always should have been.

ANACS by far. Only one that some people can open with their bare hands.

Largely because of their place in the market place. I like ICG a lot on lower value items, but CAC would be diminishing their own brand if they had PCGS prices and then ANACS prices for the coins they stickered as one example. The PCGS/CAC and the NGC/CAC gap is already enough and the type of things that CAC was initially started for are thing that most collectors can only dream of being able to afford which overwhelmingly go to PCGS and NGC.

12. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

It's a cutesy saying and nothing more, but is one often repeated by those wishing to look/play the part of knowledgeable. Simply ignore it.

TPGs do not exist for the collector's benefit. They're for-profit businesses and nothing more. They must make money or go out of business and means they must fill a niche and need of the consumer. ANACS accomplishes this by attributing so many varieties as well as doing so at a comparatively low price. PCGS largely relies on how the greater market views coins in the holders.

Going back to the "I can't grade" thing, what do you suppose would happen if a so-called "lesser" TPG decided to embrace truly conservative grading standards? Would this result in added business and/or a change in market perception, or would it mean that worthwhile coins residing in their plastic would immediately be cracked out and sent to one of the top two? If McDonald's decided to charge Red Lobster prices for their fish sandwich, do you think it would be a successful move, or is it more likely they wouldn't sell?

Bob Evancho, green18 and chascat like this.
  13. Numinaut

Numinaut Active Member

As a collector, I find that I can often buy ICG coins at a significant discount to the "first tier TPGs", which is a good thing from my perspective since I am not planning to sell them. I have some very beautiful ICG graded coins - some of them fairly high value - and I find them to be accurately and conservatively graded.

Bob Evancho likes this.
  14. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

These discussions about the merits of the four TPGS come up on a regular basis on all the forums. Bottlm line is this: In my experience, a large number of coins of every type are graded exactly the same by NGC, PCGS, and ICG. I'm sorry I cannot post any opinion on the grades of ANACS coins as I don't see enough of them. However, I'll bet they can be included in my statment.

I'm at the Lakeland, FL show. With the grades covered up, I agreed with the grade of over a dozen top two TPGS slabs - no upgrades on any and one was ex-jewelry (its straight grade was correct but the minor prong gouges were not noted).

The service you choose is a personal one. PCGS/CAC slabs are worth the most.

When I worked at PCI, we were conservative. Dealers bragged they could often get better grades at the top two after cracking out our coins. PCI detailed coins were straight gradeed on a regular basis. Only exception - In the 1990's, NGC and PCGS couldn't grade MS Shield nickels or 3CNs worth ...Usually PCI would up grade them.

Dug13, asked: "Why does CAC refuse ICG and ANACS slabs?"

Beats my five aces. I've spoken with JA about this twice. I think they will keep the policy of excluding ICG and ANACS. Perhaps when most coins are CAC's that rate it, the policy will change. I should bring in more money for CAC.

For those who can grade for themselves there are bargins in second tier holders.

Bob Evancho, imrich, jtlee321 and 8 others like this.
  15. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

I’ve heard that ICG has gotten substantially better in recent years. I am seeing far more coins in their holders that I agree with than I did nearly a decade ago.

And I have a stockpile of pictures that will crucify that opinion. And from using those photos, I’ve found that the individuals who are the staunchest supporters of PCGS are the ones who can’t grade.

16. baseball21

So you can grade better than the professional graders at PCGS? What credentials would back that up?

17. TypeCoin971793

I think it is pretty obvious.

4C990923-425C-4468-AB0D-EACE3CF2E16A.jpeg 15645C30-03B1-42C8-989E-39D8F1D98EB8.jpeg A7AB8AC2-9FE1-4551-B042-C0E9937F0FF1.jpeg 92BADD21-8126-4F3F-B79E-EB2BCCDE0E27.jpeg

18. baseball21

19. TypeCoin971793

You aren’t worth arguing with anymore. That coin is clearly overgraded and you know it. Or maybe you don’t since you seem to blindly trust the TPGs nowadays.

20. baseball21

So you do believe you’re a better expert at 1700s gold than professionals?

You have a lot to learn. From that early copper you posted a lot just seems to be you may be upset when you can’t make money

21. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

And here comes the hype, These so called professionals are your back bone. This might come off as a shock, but quite riding their coat tails.
    It's becoming more and more obvios on who needs to take some grading lessons:rolleyes: And it sure isn't @TypeCoin971793

Insider likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted