Is Damage Always a Bad Thing

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by John Johnson, Aug 5, 2018.

1. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

I had four with chop marks at one time and they didn’t bother me, but I just never liked them as much as the ones that weren’t marked and eventually traded them off.

Santinidollar likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I understand. It's not for everyone. Don't be sorry, we will split the wine in January if you make it.

4. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

That’s a valid opinion. I think it’s pretty cool that my coins went to China, were used in commerce and then found their way back across the ocean. To me that’s more interesting than the mint making a coin, storing it in their vault and then releasing them blast white and uncirculated.

MikeinWyo and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  5. NumisNinja

NumisNinja Active Member

You might encounter a buyer who collects chopmarked coins, or maybe appreciates the aesthetic or novelty of a chopmarked coin in his collection. In theory this "could" influence the amount he is willing to pay you for your coin. But that might only mean he is willing to pay your full asking price (for the damaged coin). As far as trying to demand an additional premium just for the chopmarks, I thinks it's doubtful you'll receive it.

6. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

7. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Yet you feel the need to keep commenting over and over.

Please let everyone know what can be collected to please you

8. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Personal attacks are so one side. These shouldn't be allowed.

9. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Could be. I'm not sure it is even a real chopmark. It don't matter.

10. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

just an inside joke from another thread I thought you were in.

11. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I was in that thread. It's all cool.

Clawcoins likes this.
  12. serafino

serafino Well-Known Member

I agree 100%. What a great coin and it's history. As far as I'm concerned it's value is MUCH higher than a similar coin without that "damage"

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  13. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Whether damage is necessarily bad or not depends on the sub-group of numismatists you talk to:

1) American coin collectors: Any coin not pristine is a huge negative, and if it's not encased in plastic it's also bad. Extremely obcessive about minute grade differences such as MS-65 vs MS-64, and stickers on coin holders.The emphasis is more on coins as a comodity rather than the historical value of the coin.

2) World coin collectors: More tolerant of damage such as banker's marks, chopmarks, etc., and more tolerance of raw coins. The focus is more on the historical significance of the coin vs the grade and re-sale value of the coin.

3) Ancient coin collectors: High tolerance and acceptance of damage such as banker's marks, original mint damage, mint errors, corrosion and crystalization, and strong preference for raw coins you can actually hold and physically appreciate. The historical significante of a coin almost always outweigh things such as "high grade" and re-sale value, to the point that collectors will pay top money for shabby looking rare specimens with huge historical significance over nicer more pristine, yet more common and not as historically significant coins.

I fall into the later camp, so a coin like this with all that wear and damage, but with huge historical significance...

86832q00.jpg
    Extremely Rare Quinarius of Emperor Galba

is worth far more to an ancient collector, and will be cherished and enjoyed far more than a coin like this one which is not as historically interesting or significant, yet is more pristine and eye pleasing.

ie8WN5kpNjK79odDq3LD2iaRG4BefQ (3).jpg
    Rare Follis of Emperor Maximian

PS: I know I made some generalisations and there will always be some exceptions within the 3 groups, but as someone who's dabbled in American, World, and ancient coins, I find those statements to be generally true of the majority in each camp.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
    serafino and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  14. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

"Sided" you mean. Was cute anyway

15. EyeAppealingCoins

EyeAppealingCoins Well-Known Member

"Is Damage Always a Bad Thing?"

Yes.

Definition of damage:
    1: loss or harm resulting from injury to person, property, or reputation.

16. TylerH

TylerH Well-Known Member

I feel like this is very similar to autographed comic books.

For some people, a Stan Lee autograph across the cover of a Spider-Man comic ruins the comic and they are right - it’s damage - it’s ink added from an external source outside of the print factory.

To others, it’s more valuable because it has a signature of the creator of spider man on the cover, and that helps make that issue unique. And they are right. A signature on an issue can become a one of a kind.

The answer is they are both right and it all depends on the collector. There will always be collectors for both as well.

I personally like things like chop marks because they tell the story of that coin. They make it unique.

-jeffB and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  17. EyeAppealingCoins

DCarr overstrikes ;)

baseball21 likes this.
  18. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

19. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Haha, okay, you win.

20. EyeAppealingCoins

I thought you would like that. :)

21. Prez2

Prez2 Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted