Is coin trackers valuation accurate to estimate ungraded circ, coins.

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by bruthajoe, Dec 3, 2019.

?

Which is a better investment, bullion or intrinsic precious coins?

1. bullion

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
  2. monetary semiprecious coins.

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  3. 401K

6 vote(s)
    54.5%
  1. bruthajoe

bruthajoe Still Recovering

Is it fair to pay to transfer your money into another form of money, If the Gov is printing it, it Should be same as a bond! What am I missing here? A promise????

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

It's best to do you research and understand why something's price rose or fell over time.

But most people with bullion, stocks, etc do "emotional" purchases. They do not do unbiased research. They do biased research to support their thoughts and emotions and not research to help evaluate and come to a conclusion.

With stocks, for instance I recently bought into CHK - Chesepeake Energy. As, per my research it has bottomed out in stock price and looks to rise over time based upon buy/sell institutional and large investor moves. Since then I've garnered 24.71% since Nov 27th (yes, 7 days ago). Since it was a "spare change" purchase I didn't invest a lot, but it's far better than a sub Annual 2% High Yield Savings Account.

So, if you are not doing well in stocks you should evaluate "Why" you haven't done well in stocks. For instance, in 2019 just a basic S&P 500 Index Fund has had returns of over 25%. But, if you research some more, from Sept 2018 to Dec 2018 the market turned down about 500 pts for the S&P500. So it recovered and more from those lows. It all depends upon when you bought, whether you did well or your didn't. And it depends what you bought too and why you bought it and what your short/long term goals are.

If you haven't done well in stocks, maybe you might also not do well in PMs. YMMV of course ....

bruthajoe likes this.
  4. Bob Evancho

Bob Evancho Well-Known Member

I voted for monetary semiprecious coins. Dated foreign or US preferred, smaller size gold coins. Over the time gold was $38 per ounce (early 1970's) I bought 96 British Sovereigns. Various years from 1858 to 1957. I have to check my bills but I believe 4 at a time cost me around $48. I know my 20 peso gold coin cost me $19.20 since it is in the same 2x2 I bought it in with the price still on it. I consider the British Sovereign to be a semiprecious coin. Most smaller dealers don't look for the producing mint so you can get some good deals at near gold price. I'm a coin collector so I still have the Sovereigns sitting in my safe deposit box (free for senior citizens like me). Study foreign gold coins in the smaller denominations and invest in them for the long run and be a coin collector. Over the many years you will find that some of the gold coins will go up numistmatically and some will increase in bullion value. Happy semiprecious coin collecting/investing.

bruthajoe likes this.
  5. bruthajoe

I keep looking at that graph, I think gold is going to tank again, I changed my mind. I'm going to sell. Ahh! I dont know how they do it..
    I love your opening statement. I only freelance dabble in stocks. I haven't lost but yes I'm guilty of buying into my idealistic companies . And I do not do allot of research, just some history and briefs. Honestly I think the research causes demand and balloons in it self. I do not day trade, week trade or even month trade. I tend to let it ride. I've lost in mutual funds and I've been discouraged of deferred investments. I do not have much faith in the stock market because it is such a roller coaster. I guess I may be playing tight but I'd rather not lose. Edit... I have to be transparent here I guess, I only invest in American companies. No international .

6. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

My best returns by FAR have been with real estate property. The units are paying off the mortgages and providing increasing moneyflow. For smaller amounts in property, some property companies are paying over 10% interest and over 55% institutional holders. Coins are for fun, not investment. IMO, Jim. Your return may vary.

bruthajoe likes this.
  7. bruthajoe

8. bruthajoe

Thanks D.Gem I agree, coin collecting is a better hobby than investment. I should have not even brought up the stockmarket. Funny you say that though, I've recently been slowly including REIT's into my portfolio. Plus I own a house.LOL ...well trying to own a house. Man that principal goes down slow. I was more or less trying to get feedback on semiprecious coins vs bullion, 401k was a joke.

9. bruthajoe

bullion seems to have be favored over coin in the poll. Can anyone elaborate as to why that may be?

Draft saved Draft deleted