Is coin tracker accurate?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by coooooooooooooins, Feb 4, 2018.

1. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  2. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Maybe not 100% but it is a great source for pricing in my opinion. The values they give, or any other good pricing website give are estimated values.
    That's why I have shared cointrackers it with you.
    Prices fluctuate. Value depends on condition of a coin. Before you price a coin yourself you need to know how to grade any coin. That takes time.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  3. minimal average grade is worth 1 dollar which seems off

4. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

No idea which coin tracker you are using or coin you are talking about but bear in mind they are probably retails prices. That means they are the price a dealer will charge you for them. Dealers have to make money and have a minimum price for processing any coin.

5. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

If the site I'm thinking of, you'd be wise to avoid it.

6. paddyman98

7. Aotearoa

Aotearoa Currently Smitten with DBLCs

I’m struggling to understand how that website could be useful.

jafo50 likes this.
  8. paddyman98

Struggling is bad. Hope you one day make it.

9. Aotearoa

Aotearoa Currently Smitten with DBLCs

OK, so I'll elaborate. First up, I decided to look up the value of a 1848 Large Cent. That didn't work: CoinTrackers doesn't list Large Cents. All right. I then decided to use a 1912-S Lincoln Cent as a test case. This is what I learned:

"The numismatic value" is $22 to $270. "This price does not reference any standard coin grading scale."

How does that help me put a value on the XF45 1912-S Lincoln I have in front of me? If you find the site useful, more power to you.

paddyman98 likes this.
  10. BooksB4Coins

We'll just have to respectfully disagree on this one, Paddy. In my most humble opinion, this is a site without any real use or benefit to the new and simply because it's vague to the point of being misleading. For the experienced it provides very basic info most are likely to already know, and simply doesn't offer the more detailed or advanced info such people are likely searching for. Then, to add insult to injury, it's also the "source" for good old silversearcher's "educational" videos. ;)

paddyman98 likes this.
  11. paddyman98

Ha.. Oh boy :depressed:

12. paddyman98

I understand. I agree.

13. BooksB4Coins

That was the worst one imo. ;)

It's funny how Mr. I Just Want To Contribute magically disappeared as soon as he realized the forum wasn't producing the expected traffic, isn't it?

paddyman98 likes this.
  14. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

I would rather suggest PCGS Coinfacts. Much more information.

15. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Then why do you refer people to the site?

16. paddyman98

Honestly.. It's the Only one I know of to get an idea of prices. I use it more for modern coins. Can you understand?

What other website can be referred to then?

I'm not a value guy anyways! I don't collect for value... I collect for the love of it!

17. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Yes I understand, I was just wondering.

Can't offer one myself because I'm like you not a value guy (not a grade slave either) I collect for the coins themselves and the history. My collections strive for completeness, not value or condition.

18. BooksB4Coins

Intentionally or not, you've highlighted the greatest problem with folks expecting an absolute value placed upon whatever it is they have: all too often there isn't one, nor is there any site that can provide them with one.

There are simply too many variables.

19. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I'll take it a step further: that site is not useful.

Any beginner with questions should post here. Anyone wanting more information should be referred to a site with actual information, like PCGS CoinFacts or the NGC Coin Explorer.

Santinidollar and paddyman98 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted