Is coin collecting like gambling?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Barney McRae, Mar 3, 2024.

1. Barney McRae

Barney McRae Supporter! Supporter

Ever see coins online that you like but really don't want to buy? Feel the compulsion to at least throw in a low ball bid? I saw one tonight, a Morgan that looked PL but had a hideous obverse, baggie from hades. I threw in a low ball near the end, and was quite relieved when I didn't get it.:D

MIGuy and GoldFinger1969 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. The Half Dime

The Half Dime Arrows!

I wouldn't consider it like gambling, but it does involve some risk. Sometimes I've gotten some coins and haven't resold them, but there's always that chance that you can resell it. Here's what I say: while it's quite conservative, just know that you should buy it for many reasons, not just resell.

4. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

Coin collecting is not like gambling. Investing in coins is.

5. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Truer words never spoken......

6. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Well, they both lay traps for compulsive personalities...

7. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

The addiction is... :)

8. Silverpop

Silverpop Well-Known Member

not for me coin collecting is more of a wait and see what comes my way

MIGuy and alurid like this.
  9. Barney McRae

I agree. There are times you just have to have something, sometimes not. I've had some good things just fall into my lap though, and I take them. Some times it's a reach, and some of those work out, some don't. I've been somewhat lucky lately, so I'm more careful. So far I've been winning more than losing by quite a bit. I'm a horrible photographer so I really don't post many finds here and seller's photos are sketchy.
    I've been around long enough to know when to just walk away from the table when on a winning streak. I'm finding myself less and less willing to throw the dice. Digging for diamonds in a coal mine is quite fun though and hard to resist.

MIGuy likes this.
  10. Jersey magic man

Jersey magic man Supporter! Supporter

I find that there is no gamble if you collect what you like to look at and have no intentions of ever selling it. My heirs can get what they can for it when the time comes. I just enjoy the experience.

Tall Paul, Cheech9712, MIGuy and 7 others like this.
  11. Inspector43

Perfect! Amen!

MIGuy and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  12. rte

rte Well-Known Member

It's a gateway to... OH nevermind, it's not a problem unless you're loosing :p

Kentucky likes this.
  13. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

Don't do it! :D

14. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I finally got over my Mint Error coins addiction. I haven't purchased any in almost 2 years. I admit it got a bit out of hand.. now I'm making the decision soon to start selling them :wideyed:

15. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

It's a game of give and take. The gamble is that you are right in your decisions. If you don't or can't walk away from collecting, you're gambling. "It's a happy, safe, crap-shoot." That's the way my wife sees it anyway, the boss of the toss!

16. Jersey magic man

Jersey magic man Supporter! Supporter

I hope you give CTers first shot at them!

Kentucky, Inspector43 and paddyman98 like this.
  17. -jeffB

That's... actually my style of gambling, I think. I'm an opportunist.

MIGuy and Barney McRae like this.
  18. Barney McRae

If you have the time and patience, sniping auctions is not only fun but a great way to accumulate value at a reduced cost. I probably shouldn't have posted this, the less people that know, the better it is.:D

MIGuy likes this.
  19. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I couldn’t have said it any better.

Inspector43 likes this.
  20. -jeffB

Oh, I lived that dream/nightmare for a couple of years. I spent more time camping on eBay's new BIN listings, though. I eventually decided it was consuming too much of my life. (Oh, who am I kidding -- I just found another compulsion to replace it.)

Barney McRae and Mr.Q like this.
  21. Inspector43

But Ed, you are the go to guy for examples when we need them. I am getting in the mood to start thinning things out also.

paddyman98 and -jeffB like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted