Is ANACS crazy, or am I crazy?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by C-B-D, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

As I wrote earlier: The coin is environmentally damaged and has been "fixed" to make it more attractive. AU-55 was too conservative. I also suspected the coin would be straight graded by PCGS or NGC. It was.

Now, let's distill this experience. The coin is corroded and recolored. Nevertheless the coin is very attractive. The coin is also worth more than you paid for it. This is reflected in the MS-64 grade it has been given. Don't try to get a green bean on this coin. IMHO, JA will tell you that the coin is environmentally damaged. Don't try to get an "Eagle Eye" sticker either!

So, you played the "game" and won. Is ANACS bad? Absolutely not. They were trying to protect and educate the "uninformed." They are also usually more conservative. My guess is ICG would have done exactly the same, either AU-58 details or Uncirculated details.

The important thing to learn from all this is there is a "commercial" aspect to grading. Damaged coins are straight graded ALL THE TIME! For example, MS-64 Type coins worth $$$$ can be found with scratches and gouges. As long as a buyer detects all the problems with a coin (raw or straight graded) they can make an informed decision.

Furthermore, Anyone who does not see the dark, rough, unoriginal surface next to the smoother, more original surface is the ONLY looser here! :smuggrin:

Mainebill likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

Huh?

Insider likes this.
  4. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

Or it shows that ANACS is sloppy, all over the map, and sometimes just flat out wrong.

jtlee321, -jeffB, C-B-D and 1 other person like this.
  5. Insider

Virginian, posted: "Apparently the experts at PCGS disagree. Strongly. That is what makes this hobby . . . a hobby. :rolleyes::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Actually, it's what makes your hobby a BUSINESS!

As a "hobbyist or collector" I should prefer to be "educated" by my choice of grading services than "sold a bill-of-goods." :(

green18 likes this.
  6. Insider

jwitten, posted: "Huh?"

:facepalm::eggface: Thanks for pointing that out. I should have looked back at my original post. It sure looks pretty in the slab! :p:D

jwitten likes this.
  7. Insider

:rolleyes: :banghead::banghead::banghead: Let's not go there. You can say that about all four major services.

Every major TPGS has coins in slabs that are over graded or damaged in some unacceptable way (at least to me). "COMMERCIALLY" under-graded coins as this turned out to be are eventually cracked-out and "fixed."

8. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

The pics of the coin on ebay look much different than those posted here. Looks like it was cleaned long ago and has retoned.

Mainebill and Insider like this.
  9. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Maybe I should just list it as a problem coin and try to break even... :confused: Despite the MS64 BN holder.

BigTee44 likes this.
  10. Virginian

Virginian Well-Known Member

Yes, it is a hobby to me. Has been for 50 years. Always will be. Making money by having objectively superior knowledge in some market compared to the average bear is a great thing. A great way to make money. However, in general, I do not like to get into businesses where folks who are considered to be leading experts can have such radically different opinions on the very nature of what something is, never mind its worth. If I did, I would just become a professional gambler and be done with it. YMMV - and apparently does.

One thing it seems that we can all agree on is that the OP made a nice purchase on that coin - regardless of what it really is. So that's nice.

Insider and C-B-D like this.
  11. Insider

C-B-D, posted: "Maybe I should just list it as a problem coin and try to break even... :confused: Despite the MS64 BN holder."

LOL. :rolleyes: Are you kidding? You got screwed! Let a big submitter send it in in a few months, and it should upgrade to MS-65! :D

12. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

You mean, I'm not a "big submitter?" :bag:

13. IBetASilverDollar

IBetASilverDollar Well-Known Member

while we're talking about ANACS, how are they on PL and DMPL morgans anyone have experience? Looser or stricter than PCGS/NGC?

14. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

generally ANACS is stricter

15. Insider

Who knows...perhaps that's why it is an MS-64. ;)

@mikenoodle You may wish to check out Collectors Universe and see the complaints about PCGS and NGC grading. ;)

16. IBetASilverDollar

Thanks good to know. That goes mostly for the yellow holders I assume? I know the older holders for all companies were a little relaxed on PL

I was watching one of GC a few weeks back and didn't pull the trigger because I wasn't sure about their PL standards

17. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

You won't find me complaining today, haha. Even though they detailed one if my other nice coins in this order. I'd say this one more than makes up for that one, however. ;)

Insider likes this.
  18. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

That threads most about a level that's a world of it's own. But if you really want to make it fun start a thread about ANACS current grading and it'll probably make that thread look very tame.

19. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Wat? ROFL. WINNING.

jtlee321, CircCam and C-B-D like this.
  20. IBetASilverDollar

Maybe sometimes anacs gets a coin and thinks "why are they sending this to us? Must have a problem"

-jeffB, jtlee321, baseball21 and 2 others like this.
  21. Insider

IMO, the second tier major TPGS graders are not quite as rushed (due to the volume of coins) when examining coins. Perhaps that allows a little closer look. Additionally, AFAIK you may be correct as I've heard lots of coins rejected for some reason by the top two TPGS get sent to the other two in hopes of getting something past. I've been told it's a game. I should think it's mostly a loosing game as many of the folks at the second tier services actually have more experience authenticating and grading coins. One of those graders told a class I was in that he routinely needs to raise his personal grades at work to be in line with today's loose "standards." He also looks at virtually all coins sent in with a stereo microscope set at 7X. :facepalm:

Draft saved Draft deleted