Is ANACS crazy, or am I crazy?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by C-B-D, Sep 7, 2017.

1. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

First of all, this is the FS-501, RPM. But perhaps we can chalk that up to a typo. But I grade this MS62 and do not consider this Corrosion. That luster cartwheels. I happily paid just $78. Your thoughts?
    s-l1600.jpg DSCN9167-horz.jpg

dlhill132, Browns Fan, ldhair and 4 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

Well they are in Denver and Mary Jane is legal so yeah.

4. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

There's a four letter place I much prefer sending valuable coins

Evan8 and C-B-D like this.
  5. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

You're crazy and all, but I would agree with your grade over ANACS in this case.

GenX Enthusiast and C-B-D like this.
  6. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

That's where I mailed it today.

7. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

That is why I tell people that if ANACS gave it a straight grade, it is almost guaranteed problem-free for any type. They are much more stringent than NGC or PCGS.

But this coin... ? I'd have happily paid $78 too.

C-B-D likes this.
  8. ddddd

ddddd Member

I agree with you @C-B-D that it looks UNC.
    I would say that you just got a real picky grader. It's happened to me as well on a few Anacs submissions. However, I have also had one ICG and one PCGS coin upgrade at Anacs. All 4 grading services have their good, bad, and average moments.

GenX Enthusiast and C-B-D like this.
  9. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

10. TypeCoin971793

11. baseball21

I'd be careful jumping to that conclusion. That really isn't true

12. TypeCoin971793

I agree for the old white holders. For the yellow holders, I have seen many coins called "cleaned" that NGC and PCGS would straight-grade.

Scuba4fun777 and atcarroll like this.
  13. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

I'm assuming the spot that got it Details graded is the one at 11 o'clock on the reverse. If that's still active, I wouldn't have straight graded it either. Can't tell from this, or any other, picture. I'd need to see it in hand.

Stevearino likes this.
  14. SorenCoins

SorenCoins Well-Known Member

Im tired of ANACS severly undergrading my coins, particularly washington quarters. A easy 67 at PCGS got 65 at ANACS. And they screw their labels and holders up every time. The ring holding the coin is always shattered, labels are cut off, and the guarantee sticker is poorly hologrammed. On my most recent sub they wouldnt list a Wexler DDO for it "showing up on too many dies" even though they said any major listing source, and they verified Wexler was accepted. They even put a coin of mine in sideways for gods sake. Now only subbing my true rare or nice coins to PCGS or NGC, maybe ANACS only for VAMS or varieties.

15. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

There also appear to be spots along the reverse at 1, 4 & 8 o'clock.

Chris

16. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

I sent a LARGE submission of nice gold Indians to ANACS, and about 4/5's of the came back "cleaned". I guarantee most would have straight graded at pcgs or ngc. I've used them in the past because they were the cheapest, but if they detail all my coins, why would I keep sending them in?

Paul M. likes this.
  17. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

I've used ANACS one time. There is a reason it happened only 1 time.

[​IMG]

Obone, Omegaraptor, jwitten and 2 others like this.
  18. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

I've heard time and time again, that Anacs couldn't grade a " Cent " for the life of them ..

C-B-D likes this.
  19. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Those spots are just slightly darker areas. The luster cartwheels thru them. I've inspected those areas closely and gave the coin an acetone bath. None are active corrosion... they aren't even grainy or rough looking. I feel confident about this coin straight grading, but we'll see. I'll keep everyone posted.
    Aside from that AU55 is a strange grade to give a coin with some original mint red showing, and a nice strike.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
  20. baseball21

That's true, they do seem to just sort of details things some of the time but it does work both ways too.

21. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Great buy for an 08-S. All the services are all over the place with copper. Good luck. Pretty coin.

micbraun and C-B-D like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted