Is ANACS a legitimate grading company ?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by mpcusa, May 14, 2022.

1. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

I guess the question is, are they on the same level as PCGS and NGC, I do check
    out those coin shows and most of the time its ANACS grading them, which is kind
    of a red flag for me, mostly a currency guy and have always used PCGS ( collectors universe :) but they went belly up and now all you have is PMG, there is a coin I want to get but it is in a ANACS slab and that kind of concerns me, I know on the currency
    side PMG holders demand more money for the same product so just wondering.

MIGuy and SensibleSal66 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

One should always buy the coin, and not the holder.......If the coin meets your expectations for grade and condition, then by all means, take the plunge. If not, then pass. :)

4. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Short answer: I’d rather buy an ANACS coin than a raw coin, especially when buying online. I have the impression they’re more lenient with lightly cleaned coins than the top services, but to be fair, they’re really good with varieties.

5. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I haven’t sent anything in for a while, but I used ANACS to encapsulate a number of my coins some years ago and I was perfectly satisfied with them. As others said, the coin is what is important, but I wouldn’t hesitate for one second purchasing an ANACS graded piece.

6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

ANACS is legitimate and a grader on the conservative side. I have a number of their slabs and I’m satisfied with them. They do shows and charge a lower price for submitting coins as I believe they work off of volume and have a lower profit margin.

7. tibor

tibor Supporter! Supporter

I used them a few years ago to grade and authenticate my VAMs. Had about 60. Met with their regional representative at a show. He was very helpful and patient with me. He took care of shipping after I wrote a check. Five weeks later I had them in hand. Consigned them with Great Collections. I thought I received an excellent pay out. Because of the difference between PCGS, NGC and ANACS, I don't feel I left money on the table. I highly recommend them.

Last edited: May 14, 2022
  8. Sting 60

Sting 60 Well-Known Member

I have used ANACS for every coin that I sent in for grading. I have always been happy with the results. I use them because they have a faster turn around and when I have a coin that I like, all I really want is a reputable third grader to stamp it. That way I know I have a genuine keeper. I collect many different types of coins and ANACS has usually been able to meet my needs. I think all collectors get coins graded for many different reasons, but in the end, I think it is the fact that a third party agrees that your coin is genuine. Why not maybe do it faster and less expensive. Regards.

9. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Yes ANACS is basically the same as the others @micbraun explanation is on point!!!.Here's one of my favorites in a old soap bar.The toning and overall coin is nice in person,better then pictures. Screenshot_20220514-194333_eBay.jpg Screenshot_20220514-194337_eBay.jpg IMG_20220327_104659.jpg IMG_20220327_104745.jpg

MIGuy, micbraun and mpcusa like this.
  10. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

Every grading company has their own proprietary grading standards...so none are the same. I do believe that PCGS, NGC, ANACS, and ICG all employ competent graders and produce a good product. That said, the market has determined that PCGS and NGC are superior (for better or for worse). As a result, a coin graded by ANACS will not carry the same value as the same coin at the same grade by PCGS.

I do think grades among these companies will vary by a grade or so because each uses different standards. I haven't studied ANACS well enough to know where they are tougher or weaker verses the other companies.

If there is a coin you like in an ANACS slab and you are comfortable with the price point than go with it. If you're expecting it to cross to a PCGS slab at the same grade for a quick flip certainly evaluate the coin yourself as that can be a dangerous game due to differing standards.

11. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

No they wouldnt be considered first tier and their coins usually sell at a discount to PCGS/NGC coins

Then you should know that PCGS did not go belly up and has been doing bills in house for well over a year now.

Evan Saltis likes this.
  12. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Thats what I am trying to figure out as I said in the paper currency world, different
    holder different price, though PCGS and PMG are about equal as I have crossed over
    many notes but think PMG was a tougher play ! so you really dont have a choice
    anymore in the paper currency world, its PMG or nothing !

I want to thank everybody for there feedback :)

13. baseball21

Lol once again completely wrong.

Evan Saltis likes this.
  14. Dynoking

Dynoking Well-Known Member

ANACS is a very legitimate TPG. You are more likely to get an accurately graded coin from them. For whatever reason perhaps marketing or simply perception they are regarded as second tier.

harrync, Magnus87, -jeffB and 2 others like this.
  15. MIGuy

MIGuy Supporter! Supporter

I find this such an amusing debate, I have only submitted to ICG so far (love that Cointalk special) but I'm not concerned about resale and I'm not an investor, it's the marvelous history and beauty of these little objects that commands me - I do intend on submitting to ANACS when and if they have a special just to check it out, and I'm inevitably going to submit some of my nicer foreign pieces and medals to NGC, because ICG is brutal on those, with hammered medieval coins being labeled damaged and VF in condition that is identical to straight AU in NGC slabs. I feel NGC has more depth of expertise in certain areas (medieval foreign and early medals among them), but I do love those ICG graders and the process of double and triple checks at all of the big 4 TPGs is impressive - I'm looking mostly for an education and assurance of authenticity in my submissions. I haven't had the good fortune to find any of my submissions to ICG being overgraded, though I have a few over and undergraded coins from all four of the TPGs in my collection (IMO). I am well aware that my PCGS slabs will probably command a premium if and when I ever need to sell any, because the market is about emotion, more than anything else.

serafino likes this.
  16. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

My issues with Anacs is that they shoot themselves in the foot by offering services under priced as to what the market price currently set by the top 2 tpgs.
    Now everyone loves a deal including me....whenn is a deal not a deal? When quality suffers.
    Offering prices under par, including coupons that are actually worthless as they dont honor whats printed on them.....over worked staff who over look details that for the most part the other 2 tpg would of nailed.
    Again I sent them 5 1938 D Buffalo nickels. ....paided for the atribution and they got the grades right..but refused to do the attributions as they were over sold...and trying to dig out of a pile of work that they were burried in....so when is a deal not a deal....when you pay for goods or services that a company cant possibly deliver in a reasonable time frame,and the attributions done correctly.
    Another issue was the 5 -38 D nickels all were 66 and up adding the correct attribution on the slab..to the grade would of increased their values substantially. Thus in my mind set ....they tried to control the market. As a 38 D in a 67 or 68 holder with proper attribution would definitely be at a higher price point with said attribution on that slab.
    I did speak to the VP at Anacs his attitude was anything but customer service oriented, and to address my concerns.Well all the specials you run...all the ads you pay to run....get you nada when a dissatisfied customer tells the world that your customer service sucks! Your coupons are worthless, and that one be advise to take their business elsewhere.

Last edited: May 15, 2022
  17. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis OWNER - EBS Numis LLC Supporter

ANACS will attribute pretty much any variety - that alone is good enough for me to see them as equal.

Some of the grades can be a little off but honestly I don’t care about the number that much. I just buy the coin.

I’ve noted more and more people around here shifting to ALL ICG, and to a lesser extent, ANACS.

Who cares in the end which is ‘best’. There is no best - there is only some coins better sent to one over the other.

MIGuy likes this.
  18. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

ICG continues to run a very attractive marketing promotion here, and continues to provide quick and reliable service. I don't think CoinTalk business will be enough to catapult them to the top of the stack, but they're certainly earning some friends here.

I've done a couple of ANACS submissions here, either through local shows or during their better online promotions (a "two coins graded free" that ended up being about $15/coin after shipping and insurance). Their service was solid. I was disappointed with the grades I got a few times, but that's on me, not them.

I took two Peace dollars to a show last year in ANACS slabs, an AU50 1934-S and an MS62 1921. My dollar guy made me a solid offer on the 1921, saying that he agreed with that grade. He said he'd probably flip it without submitting it anywhere else, because while he would get a better price with it in PCGS or NGC plastic, it probably wouldn't outweigh the added costs and delays.

He thought the 1934-S might be overgraded, and didn't want it. There's a very steep increase from 45 to 50 on that coin; I'd be cautious, too. I hope he's wrong, but I trust his judgement in general.

MIGuy likes this.
  19. baseball21

Try selling some and youll quickly see there very clearly is a "best". If its a cheap coin it doesnt really matter, but often times people can be penny smart and dollar stupid as sending better stuff to the others you'll lose more in the sale price than you gain in the submissions fee savings

Depending which one you pick can also have a very big impact on how your coin would be treated by an auction house

20. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Don't use them for ancients.

21. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

"sells at a discount" or "doesn't sell at a premium"?

That's an important distinction. I think ANACS sells at fair value, I think NGC and PCGS sells above and at a premium. Just a personal opinion.

it's a "no-frills" service. the database is terrible, the slabs are kind of utilitarian and no "pizzazz" to it. It's accurate, it's a good grading company and the oldest one, They have a good reputation, people just like the flash and frills or PCGS and NGC,, and the databases also,,,, there's that.

ANACS folks don't collect holders really maybe an example of the different styles of holders used over the years, but with NGC or PCGS, some folks have the same coin in a bunch of different holders and labels, and 2021-2022 coins to boot. Kinda crazy.

One is as good as another as long as their reputation isn't tarnished by bad business, but Yeah, NGC and PCGS are usually gonna sell for a premium above raw, and other holdered coins, and PCGS is likely going to sell for a higher premium over NGC also.

Just makes them better at marketing really.

Draft saved Draft deleted