Is a "Details" or "Genuine" holdered coin "Graded" ?.

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by ToughCOINS, May 13, 2014.

?

Is a "Details" or "Genuine" holdered coin "Graded" ?

1. Yes

21.1%
  2. No

68.4%
  3. It depends, please read my thoughts below.

10.5%
  1. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Many dealers offer a return privilege on raw coins, but not on third party graded coins. That is understandable, since the TPGs are taking a lot of the guesswork out of the value of the graded coins, generally reducing the risk taken on by the buyer.

When it comes to coins in "Details" or "Genuine" holders, how should such a return policy be interpreted by the buyer? Being identified as "Details" or "Genuine" clearly indicates the coin is not gradeable, yet it does not indicate the seriousness of the damage done to the coin, still leaving it difficult for a buyer to value the coin before seeing it in person, even if the level of detail retained is indicated.

Should the seller permit the return of "Details" or "Genuine" coins, even if graded coins are not returnable?

If the seller plans to deny returns of "Details" or "Genuine" coins, should the Terms & Conditions specifically address that scenario?

If you have thoughts about this subject, please elaborate.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

In my opinion it has been sent in for grading, and came back graded details, cleaned, etc. Should not be able to return since you know what you are getting in your example.

4. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Yes sellers should allow returns of Det/Gen coins, especially if he has a policy of graded coins not being returnable. That is because Det/Gen coins are most definitely not graded, all the Det/Gen slab does is confirm authenticity.

Now, that said, my personal opinion is that wise sellers should allow returns of any and all coins, including those that are graded, (and of course raw coins). That is because you should never buy the slab, but instead only buy the coin. And that is not possible without an in-hand inspection.

Now, could there ever be an exception to this ? Yes, but only under one condition. That condition would be that the coin being sold is offered at current Blue Sheet Bid/Ask, or less. Blue Sheet exists specifically for this scenario. The difference between Grey Sheet B/A and Blue Sheet B/A, and it is often a significant difference, is because of the increased risk that a buyer assumes when he buys a coin with no return privilege. The lower price is to offset that risk.

In other words, a buyer that accepts a coin - graded, or Det/Gen - with no return privilege, knows he is taking a gamble. But the lower price is supposed to make that gamble worth taking.

geekpryde likes this.
  5. GDJMSP

But that's just it, you don't know what you are getting. You can never know what you are getting with any coin, until you see that coin in hand.

6. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

Well then I can see how you would think all coins should be able to be returned. As an ebay seller, I do this. I just had a customer want to return a MS62 $5 gold Indian, which I find annoying, but am still accepting.

7. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

He should ask the seller.

In my opinion yes , it will reduce troubles later (especially after the buyer doesn't bother to read the terms of sale and whines "How was I supposed to know that a "details" coin was considered to be graded? You can point out "It's right there in the terms of sale.")

He knows he is getting a Details coin that can't be TPG graded.

8. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Interesting question ToughCOINS. Me, I'd like to hope any coins could be returned. I've never returned a coin though.

9. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Otherwise known as "A pig in a poke".

10. GDJMSP

Yeah, but there's forty eleven variations of that. Not all problems are equal.

11. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I completely agree with this...just because a coin is graded doesn't mean it is the same as all the other coins graded the same. All coins are unique and wise sellers understand that and offer a return policy on all coins. But, as Doug said...I also agree that details/genuine slabbed coins are certainly not graded. They are simply authenticated.

Now, my agreement with the above post applies only to coins not purchased in person (so coins purchased online). I believe that dealers who sell from a shop or at show do not need (and should not be expected) to take returns of any kind. The buyer had the ability to inspect the coin in hand prior to making a purchase. Raw or slabbed.

That said, dealers who do offer in person returns are very nice...but I don't think such behavior should be expected for any coin.

12. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

If graded coins are not returnable, one option is to not accept returns on "Genuine" holders where the issue is described on the label.
    Those being (PCGS):
    • Filed Rims
    • Peeling Lamination
    • Holed and/or Plugged
    • Damage
    I personally would accept returns on everything. A grade isn't a good representation of the eye appeal only seen when the slab is in hand.

13. josh's coins

josh's coins Well-Known Member

What about bullion coins? 90% silver silver &gold eagles etc.. They could return the coins just because the market value dropped a dollar overnight. That's not fair to the seller.

14. josh's coins

I would base this policy on a case by case scenario. If it is a lowball Morgan the buyer knows what to expect. if it an environmental damaged early copper I'd allow a return on that.

15. CamaroDMD

Most dealers have a very different policy when it comes to bullion.

You don't want to chase away potential repeat customers...especially over a low dollar coin. Best to offer returns when a coin is bought online.

16. josh's coins

No not really provident metals allows you to sell the bullion back to them after you have paid but before they have shipped. If you could name some dealers that allow you to return bullion because the price dropped significantly please do so.
    I suppose you are right on this one. I'd honor a return on any item within 2 weeks but as for bullion I would accept buy backs. That's how I have been doing it and have not had any issues so far.

17. CamaroDMD

I think you missed my point...return policies on coins typically don't apply to bullion. Dealers who accept returns on coins, normally have very different policies on bullion (meaning, they normally don't allow returns).

18. josh's coins

Ah, alright then. you should have said that in the first place. Your first statement was too general and led me to believe that some sellers do allow returns on bullion. Sorry for the mix up.

P.S I know you're a dentist. Do people actually get Gold teeth? or is it just a myth?

19. risk_reward

risk_reward Active Member

I knew a guy in the 1980s that had a gold front tooth. So, yes.

20. CamaroDMD

They do. It is less common today than it was in the past due to an ever increased push by patients for esthetics. But, I still do quite a few. Nothing works better than gold.

21. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

From a buyer's perspective I can understand that dealers don't accept returns of slabbed coins. Even a details grade usually says enough to estimate a coin's market value.

What I do expect though is a clear description of the problem. If a PCGS slab says 'genuine' not everybody knows how to figure out what's wrong with the coin and as we all know it can be very hard to tell from the pics.

Last edited: May 14, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted