Is a copy coin worth anything?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Coinblaster, Jul 6, 2020.

1. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

No, you said you bought it at a coin auction for $40, and I want to know what kind of auction it was. ~ Chris

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Coinblaster

Coinblaster Active Member

It wasn't really a coin auction more like I bought it off of a coin dealer which he said he bought it at a coin auction

4. Malleus Maleficarum

Malleus Maleficarum Well-Known Member

paddyman98 and hotwheelsearl like this.
  5. Coinblaster

6. Coinblaster

Here's a pic of the coin I'm talking about received_289373722181228.jpeg received_613766745936944.jpeg

NOS likes this.
  7. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Yea unless it happens to have been stuck in some amount of silver, it’s relatively worthless.

I had a handful of “copy” quarter and half eagles that I managed to sell for no more than $7, free shipping on eBay.

replica coins are simply not collectible for the vast majority. Your coin is likely not even silver plated

I would estimate your coin value to be NO MORE THAN $5.

If you spent the $30+ to get it graded, it would be return to you. Ungraded and you would have wasted your money

keep it if you like the look, but it is really worth very little

8. Coinblaster

I weighed it its only off by a gram received_953356578440905.jpeg

9. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

It's off by a gram plus the weight of the 2x2 and staples. You have to remove the coin from the 2x2 before weighing

If you paid $40, you need to take it back to the dealer immediately. You may want to hold off on buying expensive coins until you have some more experience. Your coin is a fake and not very good at that.

Edit to Add: Just saw the pic on a larger monitor after some coffee. It says COPY on the reverse!!!!.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
    Heavymetal and paddyman98 like this.
  10. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I agree.. Then stop buying garbage from that dealer!

11. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

At $40, you got hosed, and I just wanted to know who I should avoid. I think maybe both of you. ~ Chris

12. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

image.jpg 4C556EC4-A068-49DE-885B-32DD360894D1.jpeg A17419E7-12A2-4C4D-A9E0-F512FEDA3463.jpeg 747BEF2D-9410-42B8-BCD2-5C3379E203DA.jpeg 0F7F6E0B-45C2-4562-902C-D0DB9222279F.jpeg F364840C-1881-4FB0-926B-B9A6799E8ACF.jpeg I bought 3 of this series for $9 a few years ago. Sold the 1893 S for $8. So I’m into these for 50 cents ea. Advertised as ‘silver clad’

13. Coinblaster

Heavymetal likes this.
  14. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It all depends on what it is a copy of, when and by whom it was made. And, no, this is not worth grading.

15. Raizac

Raizac Well-Known Member

i would bet that it's magnetic!! put a magnet by it see if it sticks

16. Coinblaster

So what does it mean if it does stick?

17. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

It means it is made of iron and at most silver plated

NOS likes this.
  18. Coinblaster

Ok ill put it to a magnet to see if it sticks

19. Coinblaster

Yea it sticks to a magnet

NOS likes this.
  20. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Hmmmmmmmm...souvenir coin, gift shop.

21. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Bradford Exchange and those types of mail-order companies often sell these so-called "Tribute Proofs"

They are usually $49.95, marked down to a special collector's price of $9.95 with free shipping.

They are sort of neat if you're into that kind of thing. For example, some people who simply can never afford a Saint Gaudens double eagle will opt for a $10 replica because the enjoy the look and appearance of the replica coin.

No collectors should be shamed or be embarassed of what they collect. However, it is important to temper expectations when buying these replicas:
    1. They are of virtually no value. Some are copper with a thin silver plating, at which point they are worth copper bullion value. Some are iron, which is also "worth iron bullion value" but that's so low it's not even worth it.

2. Resale is extremely difficult. You can sometimes see these being sold in Local Coin Shops for a buck or two. However, odds are that the coin shop did not pay for them, rather they just took a bulk collection which happened to have a few of these.

3. If you do manage to resell, profits are exceedingly low. I had a handful of these types of coins which I sold on eBay for anywhere between $5 and $7, free shipping. Shipping cost $3.18, and there's fees, so at the end of the day you're only making a dollar or two, max.

NOS likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted