Is a $500 bill a good investment?

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Dalladalla80, Jul 21, 2019.

1. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

What's the biggest bill you have in your possession ?

For me, it's just a $100 bill. Would like to get a $500 in 2020 and maybe a $1,000 down the line. I think you can buy $5,000 and $10,000 bills but the $100,000 Wilson bill I'm not sure of.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

You can't buy the $100,000 bill. It was only for use between banks, it was never a circulating note, most have been destroyed, I think there are only 2 left, 1 is in the Smithsonian.

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  4. GoldFinger1969

Yup, I knew it was used to settle accounts between banks. It was impractical to use anyway for commerce (what do you buy with a $100,000 bill anyways ?:D)

Surprised they destroyed most of them. :banghead:

5. HawaiiCurrencyCollector

HawaiiCurrencyCollector Active Member

6. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

7. GoldFinger1969

Steve, are you trying to make me jealous ? :wideyed:

8. GoldFinger1969

On a serious note....what brought that down to a 45 TPG score ? What are the obvious flaws that jump out at you when you have it in hand ?

Myself, I see some rounded corners and a paper that isn't super-white. I don't (can't) see any paper waves (though I believe those are super-hard to tell from pictures).

But overall, a nice bill. Clean, crisp, and $1,000 face. :D

What happened to Superior Grading ?

9. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

The note has soft folds and minor, honest soiling.

This is what Greg said recently on a different forum regarding his company, Superior Grading Service;

Hi Everyone... I guess I should have posted a page up there to tell everyone why the site is gone.

Short answer is that I sold it... not the site per se but the mylar, the program etc...

The new owners are setting something up but I am not at liberty to say anything about it. I am sure they will make announcements soon.

Kind regards,

Greg

10. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

I wonder if he got bought out by PCGS who recently announced their new grading label. I understand they recruited graders. Perhaps Greg got hired by them also.

11. I have to wonder if there is a sufficient volume of business to make it viable as a stand-alone entity.

Draft saved Draft deleted